Question about using rank after service

stratasfan

In the US military . . . are there rules about your rank after you leave the service? Can you use it? Are you ever allowed to claim it? Can you have it on your tombstone? Can you ever use it again? Does it depend on length of service or if you retired or MIA or KIA or achieve a high enough rank? 

We've come up on two people on Find A Grave who had really odd thoughts . . . one said that you cannot use your rank unless you are Retired or KIA and it has to be above the Rank of Captain. One said rank is only allowed to be used by active military, and the minute you are no longer active you are not entitled to your rank.

So, what are the rules about your rank after service? 

Thanks for any thoughts!

Elizabeth

Generally, it's acceptable for retirees to use when accompanied by "(Ret)" at the end...but generally only for higher ranks, namely Colonel and above on the officer side and SgtMaj on the enlisted.

I don't think any rule prohibits using it, but it's generally perceived as a "douchey" thing to do...our ranks hold zero weight in the civilian sector, so to toss it around comes across as chest thumping or, worse, that the individual can't cut the cord. Similar to the high school football star still talking about it a decade after he graduates.

We have a riddle for it...

What do you call a retired (insert rank here)? Mister.

I can think of half a dozen people on Quantico right now who are retired but insist on their ranks being used...and every one of them is viewed by their peers and subordinates alike as douchebags.

Headstones it's considered acceptable if the service is otherwise alluded to (branch, war, awards, or whatever). Just writing "Sgt Smuckatelli" without expanding on it on a headstone is just strange

Salvage Sailor

Good answer Brig,

But for kicks, Google "Fake Colonel" and behold just how many of these Bozos are out there around the world.

As a commissioned officer, I was moved from the "Active" list to the "Inactive" list when I retired.  When I was reactivated, I went onto the "Active" list, then retired a second time and went back on the "Inactive" list.  The whole time I retained my original commission, and was, and still am, allowed to use my rank in the appropriate venues.  The general rule is that once retired, you can use your rank as long as it is appropriate.  You are still subject to the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice) and can be brought back into active service if necessary for UCMJ actions.  This also applies to Non-commissioned officers and they are able to use their rank as well if they have retired.  Not sure how it would work for a Private but in most cases where someone retires as a Private it's because they were busted from a higher rank.  I know of one case where a Staff Sergeant was busted back to E-3, but was retained on Active Duty until he hit 20 years and could retire.  He retired as a Staff Sergeant because you retire at the highest grade held.

An inappropriate use of rank would be in politics unless you were a "Kentucky" Colonel, e.g. Colonel Sanders.

We've come up on two people on Find A Grave who had really odd thoughts . . . one said that you cannot use your rank unless you are Retired or KIA and it has to be above the Rank of Captain. One said rank is only allowed to be used by active military, and the minute you are no longer active you are not entitled to your rank.

Rank and branch of service are routinely used on headstones and markers.  If your headstone or marker is provided by the VA, it will now also have the period of service listed such as World War II, Vietnam, etc.