Span Am Boxer Rebellion USS Maine USMC trench art

Some of the neatest things come in small packages. I recently acquired this small piece of trench art. It stands 4 inches high and 2 inches square, but has a ton of info on it. The piece is made of brass and the "steps at the bottoms have all been stamped with info. The two top steps refer to the piece itself. "Relic, USS Maine-Blown Up in Havana Harbor Feb. 15th 1898 6 inch gun Number 99, Mk. III, Wt. 10, 750 lbs. 256 killed". The bottom "step" refers to the Marine who purchased or acquired the piece. "Sergeant Hoenes U.S.M.C., Enlisted Apr. 27th 1898, Appt. Cpl. May 1, Sergt. May 16, 1898. Along the bottom it is stamped "Gus To Florence". 

My conclusion is that this was purchased as maybe a paper weight. The piece is all brass, weighs about a pound and clearly appears to have been made from one of the guns from the ill fated USS Maine. It appears "Gus" gave the piece to perhaps a girlfriend, wife or maybe a sister. 

Here is what I have found on Sgt. Hoenes.  As indicated, he enlisted as indicated April 27, 1898. His full name is Gustave Christopher Hoenes. His name is spelled several different ways in the muster rolls (Haynes, Haines, etc.) and there appears to be gaps in his service. It looks like he was stationed in Cavite and served in the Philippines in 1899/1900. I have determined he was awarded the Philippine campaign medal #806 as well as the 1900 China Relief medal #325. I believe he was part of the 107 Marines from the first detachment sent to China on the USS Solace in July 1900, as there is a muster roll placing him on the USS Solace between July 1 and July 30 1900. He spent additional time in Cavite in 1900 and 1901. I don't have much else on him so if anyone finds out something more, I would be grateful. Hope you all like the piece as much as I do. Kevin

IMG_1399.JPG

IMG_1401.JPG

IMG_1402.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

IMG_1404.JPG

IMG_1405.JPG

IMG_1406.JPG

IMG_1407.JPG

IMG_1408.JPG

THAT is one of the coolest pieces of trench art I have seen! What a great find. I love the story of the Maine. Where on earth did you find that?