WWI 77th ID Officer Group; Ribbon ID Help

Kadet

Researching a group to an officer that served in the 77th ID during WWI. This ribbon is in the group...what is it? Foreign award, or perhaps from a state or city?

IMG_3026.jpg

The Netherlands was a neutral country in WW1. It interned all foreign soldiers which entered the country.

Furthermore no Dutch decoration with this ribbon and attachment exist in the Netherlands. 

I think a US State or organisation ribbon.

Regards

Herman 

I tend to think it is a state, city or even commemorative ribbon. The veteran was awarded the Silver Star for his WWI actions in 1932. He served in his state guard unit until the late 1940s and also wore this ribbon on his guard uniform. 

Odd but Virginia does have a ribbon similar but it has 7 stripes in it this one has 6, 7 stripes is for State Guard Service

Thanks, I think that must be it. After WWI, he spent many years in the Virginia Protective Force (VPF), which changed its name to Virginia State Guard in 1944. Not to be confused with the National Guard...they are separate organizations in Virginia. It still exists today as the Virginia Defense Force (VDF). Their logo includes an image that is very similar to the devices on the ribbon.... 

Virginia_Defense_Force.png