Nose Art of the B-26 "Crew 13"

Championhilz

Here's a neat little picture I received in the mail just today - a shot of the B-26 Marauder "Crew 13." Thanks to the miracle that is the internet, in just a matter of minutes I was able to find out quite a bit about her. She served in the 323rd Bomb Group, 456th Squadron, and according to one history I found, she flew over 150 missions. I really like the nose art - I guess the crew wanted to thumb their noses at bad luck, with a black cat rolling dice that came up snake eyes. It must have worked for that crew and many others if she flew over 150 missions!

post-274-1230340788.jpg

post-274-1230340811.jpg

Here's a neat little picture I received in the mail just today - a shot of the B-26 Marauder "Crew 13." Thanks to the miracle that is the internet, in just a matter of minutes I was able to find out quite a bit about her. She served in the 323rd Bomb Group, 456th Squadron, and according to one history I found, she flew over 150 missions. I really like the nose art - I guess the crew wanted to thumb their noses at bad luck, with a black cat rolling dice that came up snake eyes. It must have worked for that crew and many others if she flew over 150 missions!

post-274-1230340788.jpg

post-274-1230340811.jpg

That's great you were able to locate so much information on her. I really like nose art and have a few books on the subject. Locating actual period photos can be exciting also.

thanks for sharing.

Mike

That's great you were able to locate so much information on her. I really like nose art and have a few books on the subject. Locating actual period photos can be exciting also.

thanks for sharing.

Mike

Thanks Mike - that's what I love about collecting photos, doing the research and uncovering the stories they have to tell. I have been doing a little more looking, and actually turned up a color photo of the "Crew 13" taken at her airfield Earls Colney, in Essex, England. In this picture you can just see the nose art - they apparently had it painted on both sides of the plane.

post-274-1230343892.jpg