Vehicles displayed outside of 1st Cav Museum at Fort Hood, TX

ROCKET

I was curious if anybody has any pics of the vehicles displayed outside next to the 1st Cavalry Division museum in Fort Hood, TX? I left there in 1991 after the war and never saw what they did with the captured Iraqi vehicles which were brought back from the war.

Thanks!

John

I was curious if anybody has any pics of the vehicles displayed outside next to the 1st Cavalry Division museum in Fort Hood, TX? I left there in 1991 after the war and never saw what they did with the captured Iraqi vehicles which were brought back from the war.

Thanks!

John

It just so happens..... *grins* Let me see if I can find them. I was station there until June of 2008 and I got a lot of photos of some of them when my son came down to drive home with me. Let me dig them up and I'll see about putting them on a CD for you. you can contact me at [email protected]

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for helping me out Wayne. Feel free to send them to my direct email address if you get a chance... [email protected]

The vehicle I'm specifically curious about is the captured BMP-1 that our company brought back from the 1st Gulf War. When we captured the vehicle it was in perfect condition with only a dead battery. I suggested that the mechanics weld the name of our unit and capture date on the vehicle so some REMF unit wouldn't try to take credit. Unfortunately the morons decided to weld the unit with 12 '' size letters which really looked like crap. From what I've been told this welding was removed and a new side armor piece was put in place?

John

This is what the BMP-1 looked like shortly after arrival back at Ft. Hood in 1991.

gulf20-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, dont know if Wayne was able to help you out with the photo you was looking for but im pretty sure this is the specific vehicle in your pic. There seems to a few differences here and there on it but definatly not any welds on the side of it.

post-4721-1231981700.jpg

Hi,

I have some that I took when I was down there TDY back in 1999. I will scan and post them tonight after I get home from work,

Bryan

Hello, dont know if Wayne was able to help you out with the photo you was looking for but im pretty sure this is the specific vehicle in your pic. There seems to a few differences here and there on it but definatly not any welds on the side of it.

Thanks for sharing the recent photo. I was told that the BMP-1 was restored and that the welds were removed before it was put on permanent display. I just had never seen a picture of the restored "finished product". It looks like they did a great job!

Thanks again for posting!

John

Verdun,

Thanks for sharing your pics!

I dug up a couple pics of this very same BMP-1 shortly after we captured it. You can see that the turret was still fully loaded with 73mm main gun rounds as well as Soviet-made "Sagger" anti-tank missiles.

John

gulf5.jpg

gulf22.jpg

Wholey moley!

Ya' know, that inside shot is a good period to show. I think people forget that even though we had an overwhelming victory in the First Gulf War that doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous.

Thanks for sharing the recent photo. I was told that the BMP-1 was restored and that the welds were removed before it was put on permanent display. I just had never seen a picture of the restored "finished product". It looks like they did a great job!
Yeah, but in the future, people will gripe that the "original capture markings" were destroyed by the museum. Count on this, it will happen once the "unpleasantness in the gulf" has been enough years gone by and it 'history' by then.

Think of how we'd lament a museum removing markings put by GI's onto something captured in WW2...

Wholey moley!

Ya' know, that inside shot is a good period to show. I think people forget that even though we had an overwhelming victory in the First Gulf War that doesn't mean it wasn't dangerous.

hell we joked that was "the great drive by shooting".

But if you were there it scared the crap out of you just the same.

I remember my first scud drill with my pro mask and mopp suit.