Korean Marines I need help

Zippo Grunt

Hello All,

I need some help on this one. It belongs to a friend of mine. He would like to know any information on what the palm tree with 4 stars is ?

The Zippo is dated from 1968,and was sold as a 1968 R.O.K VIETNAM KOREAN MARINES CREST ZIPPO. But my friends not to sure about the unit.

Thanks to you all,

Gary (Zippo Grunt)

post-4917-1229126013.jpg

It took me awhile to find this, and I never did find it on the internet....

This is for the ROK 100th Logistical Command, which supported units in Vietnam.

I have a copy of an undated article from the Trading Post by Cecil B. Smyth Jr. entitled "Insignia and Badges of the Allies of the Republic of Vietnam, Part III - Republic of Korea.

The article notes that at their height, the South Koreans had 48,000 troops in Vietnam. The 100th Logistical Command would have been charged with keeping them supplied and their vehicles maintained, much like the US model.

I don't know how you feel about collecting items from logistical units, but in my opinion this is probably rarer than something from one of the combat divisions. Nice item.

You can find additional information and a color image of the insignia on

http://www.talkingproud.us/International061406.html

I had to step away while writing this...

As you are a Zippo collector, you probably know this already. Without translating the Korean script, I am going to guess that this was a presentation lighter. The one star flag probably represents the commander of the 100th Logistical Command. Typically these were handed out to recognize an achievement by a subordinate.

Some collectors mistake these for belonging to the general himself. It would be interesting to have it translated.

Thank you both for the outstanding information and praise.

This is a Rare Vietnam Zippo which my friend has,and ive emailed the info to him.

Gary

I got the translation today,from a Korean Zippo Collector;

That means,

The 100 military supplies commander

The brigadier general Yeong-il Kim

Yeong-il Kim is commander's name,

so this is a commemoration zippo for him.