WWI USMC Painted Helmets with EGAs

Very nice Cody! The 3/5 is elusive. One of only two I need to complete my fifth and sixth Marine helmet collection. Gives me the "blues". Congrats and thanks for posting. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2019.gif

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. As this stuff is most difficult to source, we are at fate's wanton whim to find these things, I am very fortunate to have what few things I have.

Thanks for the nice words, I'm trying to amass a decent, representative, WWI USMC helmet collection. Were it not for the considered mentoring of Charles (Chuck) Roelens I'd not be nowhere close. Thank you, Sir! Semper Fi!

Regards,

Cody

donation2014.gif

• 4 months later...

A nice one, I own it's twin, definitely done by same hand. Congrats. Kevin

I am eagerly collecting Pre-WWII USMC material. Any Marine Corps Span Am era, WWI, Banana Wars, or China Marine related material is especially sought after.

Mine was once owned by Dennis Jackson and is depicted in Equipping the Corps. Dennis previously posted it in this thread, see post 94.

Very nice looking helmet! Ega has just the right amount of age and patina. Great job.

• 9 months later...

Thanks, guys. The following edited narrative was provided by the seller...

"Any legit WWI USMC helmet is tough to find nowadays, here's a 5th Marines, HQ guy. It is named to Frank Moore. The hole is punched-in for EGA placement. The EGA is fused to the helmet. This helmet came out of an 1880's NW house completely wrapped in a 1918 dated newspaper along with the Marine's dogtags and a small satchel with some German currency. Particles of this newspaper are glued to the helmet by rodent urine, and a section dated November 11, 1918 folded inside."

Thanks for looking,
Cody

donation2014.gif

Nice helmet, that is one big insignia on the front. Neat provenance!

• 5 months later...

Here's a couple of mine, although the 3/6 lid is sans EGA....so just ignore it. :rolleyes:

The 2/6 helmet shows toning from an old coat of varnish, the end product of a well-intentioned collector decades ago.

post-8-0-36297200-1560303151_thumb.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Actively seeking WW1 4th and 5th Brigade USMC helmets and also a named WW2 Raider green blouse.
I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail, if I could I surely would....

Gorgeous looking helmets guys!

RIP Molly...Oct. 2000 - July 2013 For 13 years you have been my best friend and companion, giving love and asking only for love in return. May you rest now, free from your pain. I will miss you girl, and will keep you in my heart forever....the sweetest dog and best friend ever! I'll see you again one day.

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

FYI, the VFW magazine( Jan or Feb this year) cover has pics of Marines in New York city after war, good examples of painted helmets with EGA’s. Will dig it out if anyone interested, pm me.

Thanks

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif

post-6975-0-48406600-1560535731_thumb.jpeg

Heres the VFW magazine cover, was last year. Whoever titled pic must have been ignorant as its listed as US Army troops??? DA? Anyway, anyone knowledgeable knows the guys are Marines by looking at helmets. Bet it was a hot time in town that night,LOL

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif