Unusual Glider Troop Garrison Cap

VMI88

I just picked up this glider troop garrison cap at a local antique store. It's got a number of unusual features and I was hoping some of the experts on the board could help me.

The most obvious question is the 30th Division patch loosely sewn to the back of the cap. It looks like it was done some time ago, but it's sewn loosely and crookedly. I can't think of any reason why it would have been worn like this during the war. Maybe added for wear to veteran's functions?

The glider patch is also unusual in that it appears to be bordered in orange. Since the cap has orange & white Signal Corps braid, the glider patch appears to be an original part of the cap. It's also hand sewn, but much more professionally than the 30th ID patch. Has anyone ever seen a glider patch with Signal Corps border? (A search of the forum did turn up an orange-backed parachute patch.)

The cap itself is unmarked, but appears to be a private purchase cap. Any thoughts on this unusual combination of insignia?

Bill

post-265-1226018769.jpg

I can't tell from the tinting, but are you sure it isn't more of a pink, the sort that would be seen on British made patches?

My guess on the 30th ID patch would be that maybe the family sewed the patch on from a brother or some other relation to the gliderman.

-Ski

Airborne-Hunter
Close-up of the glider patch:

If the border on the ABN glider cap patch is orange then it is a signal corp patch. It's hard to tell from the photos, for there is also another one with the same design, but has a red border (Art.). I don't know why there is a 30th division patch....other than if he met up with a 30th division guy while in europe and he gave the glider guy a patch. Hope this helps. thumbsup.gif