Searching a vehicle's history?

usmcraidergirl

usmcraidergirl

I know there are some vehicle collectors out there that could answer this. :) I've been thinking about obtaining a World War II Harley Davidson WLA or military Indian motorcycle. But, I want to know that it was used by the military and where it was used...

So, here is my question. Is there a page online (or a place) that someone can go to with a vin number on say a jeep or motorcycle and find out (1) if the vehicle was used for military service and (2) if used by the military, when and where it was used? think.gif

Anyone know?

Thanks in advance for your help guys!! thumbsup.gif

RaiderGirl

Hi Raidergirl,

For WWII, basically, if it is a 1940 to 1945 jeep, it was used by the Military, they weren't making them for anyone else ;)

The best site for jeeps, including listings of WWII chassis numbers, and what to look for on an original vehicle is:

WWW.G503.com

It would be impossible for me, or other jeep enthusiasts here, to cover all the aspects of WWII jeep ownership. If you are serious about it, then spend some hours reading on the G503 site, and see also what books they recommend. They are happy to answer questions too. The research is very necessary, since there are the usual problems of jeeps that have lost a lot of original parts since the 40's, and also post war vehicles are faked to look like wartime. Mistakes can be expensive. Additionally, I'm sure people here, like me, will answer specific queastions too.

I imagine most of the above applies to Harleys too. If no one can point you the right way on those, G503 also has a motorcycles section, I imagine they'll be helpful. I seem to recall that the major problem with Harleys is that they don't have chassis numbers, only engine numbers. Since the engines are easily (and often) swapped, you really have to know well what features you would expect to see on a bike of the same period as the engine number.

for US used vehicles, there is very little that can be done in the way of paperwork research into their histories. The US Govt. destroyed this info years ago. The best you can hope for is a relativly unmolested vehicle, where the original markings can be recovered. But these are rare.

Now, ex British used jeeps are a different matter and can sometimes be researched.... (sorry, that was one of my specialities).

Best of Luck;

Prof

usmcraidergirl

Thank you for the info! :) I've spent some time reading through that site and man it is addictive! :D

I noticed one thread was asking about Harley's ordered for the Navy and Marine Corps. If I am not mistaken, those would have been the Model E knuckleheads, right? I've always heard it was, and I noticed someone mentioned it on the site. Does anyone have any pictures or proof one way or the other?

Thanks again, guys!

RaiderGirl

The military kept NO records of vehicle use, unlike airplanes (you can find out where a B-17 spent more than 2 days anywhere, it seems).