Food Service Patch

DaddyDog

A long shot, but maybe it is associated with Ugak Bay in Alaska..... Perhaps an old USCG Kodiak patch even though the aircraft screams USAF......mmmmmmmm....

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. The size of the patch is 6.25 inches and it was collected about 10 or 11 years ago in my state. I hope to someday to figure out what it is, and what type of aircraft is represented.

Does anyone else have any food service patches?

David

​The aircraft reminds me of a U-2 and the mountains Mae me think of Japan or Okinawa.

A very good point. Then you have to look at Osan AB with Det 2 9th SRW.......

-Ski

​The aircraft reminds me of a U-2 and the mountains Mae me think of Japan or Okinawa.

The tail marking ends in K - Korea?

Can't make out the other three letters - USA? VGA? (So, USAK VGAK?)

You AF guys gotta help out.....

Never saw it before. I think that's USAF on the tail, just badly done. As to the aircraft, I believe it to be a poor rendition of something, but not a U-2. The tail looks A-26 or B-45 related. Both used in Korea early to mid 50s. My bet would be A-26 as these were painted black, and the guy making it put bombs where the engines go. Don't think it was Okinawa either, they don't have mountains like that there. Patch construction looks like a lot of those tour patches that came out from there in Korea in the 50s too. So, to summarize: POSSIBLY a Korean A-26 base related patch. But there is so much wrong with that plane it's all a WAG.

Randy

Never saw it before. I think that's USAF on the tail, just badly done. As to the aircraft, I believe it to be a poor rendition of something, but not a U-2. The tail looks A-26 or B-45 related. Both used in Korea early to mid 50s. My bet would be A-26 as these were painted black, and the guy making it put bombs where the engines go. Don't think it was Okinawa either, they don't have mountains like that there. Patch construction looks like a lot of those tour patches that came out from there in Korea in the 50s too. So, to summarize: POSSIBLY a Korean A-26 base related patch. But there is so much wrong with that plane it's all a WAG.

Randy

With the flames coming out the rear of the fuselage, I still think it is U-2 related......

-Ski

firefighter

With the flames coming out the rear of the fuselage, I still think it is U-2 related......

-Ski

Thats what made me think U-2 with pods under it's wings.

-Ski

Only times flames come out of the back of a U-2 engine there's a serious problem! U-2s don't have afterburners. This just looks to me like a fanciful aircraft rendition. Plus it looks (from here anyways) much older than when the U-2s made to Korea. It matches some of the mid 50s tour patches I have construction-wise. U-2 pods are much larger and are not finned in the rear as well. All that said, who knows coming from that part of the world...

Randy

Early U-2's operated out of Atsugi Japan 1957-1960, CIA WRS(P) DET C. and they received the Deep Sea Blue Scheme in 1958. Small slipper pods were on the wings. (These were no where near the size of the later Super pods). Also a pod could be mounted on the wing but not at the same time as the slipper pod. A Jammer was at the base of the fin.

-Ski

Good point.

Question here:

This patch is SO "primitively" done (in my opinion) - so, in the patch-making world where/how might it have been manufactured?