Opening a MINT IN BOX USN Life Preserver Belt

stealthytyler

stealthytyler

I hope that I do not receive too much flak for opening this mint in box WWII dual type USN life preserver belt. However, I thought it would be an interesting study to see how these were packaged and to see the condition of these when first opened. Everything on this belt is solid and in like new condition. The black rubber tubes feel brand new. The body of the belt is a little stiff from being in this folded up position for 72 years. I have not checked to see if the C02 cartridges are installed. I wonder if this thing would inflate? Thanks for stopping by and let me know what you think.

post-131595-0-59143300-1476899614_thumb.jpg

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok I get that it's yours and you can do whatever you want with it, (paint it purple and wear it in the bathtub etc) but once you cracked that box, that was it. You cannot un-ring that bell.

so now we know, it was packed in a box.

But now it is just like the rest of them out there. sigh.

I would have at least tried to steam off the tape. But I am purist.

(The first time I put a mae west life vest on I almost wet myself as I pulled the cords and it did inflate!)

That hurts me somewhat , BUT , it is yours to do with as you see fit ! :) Im like Mr Jerry , im a purist too !! :D

Very nice. Keep in mind you still have a "mint, in the box" item. It's just not "mint in the unopened box". As long as you don't discard the box I don't think you hurt it's value all that much.

stealthytyler

Very nice. Keep in mind you still have a "mint, in the box" item. It's just not "mint in the unopened box". As long as you don't discard the box I don't think you hurt it's value all that much.

I plan to display the belt with the box. This makes the item much more enjoyable in my opinion.

Backtheattack

A great problem: open or not? I think each owner must decide what to do. For myself, I have a plastic first aid kit. Opened for display. A sacrilege I know. But after weigh pro and contra I did.

The contract no "W-33-034-TC-27" is actually an Army contract, and not Navy (despite the cast markings on the belt). Nice belt

stealthytyler

A great problem: open or not? I think each owner must decide what to do. For myself, I have a plastic first aid kit. Opened for display. A sacrilege I know. But after weigh pro and contra I did.

To each their own, right?

stealthytyler

The contract no "W-33-034-TC-27" is actually an Army contract, and not Navy (despite the cast markings on the belt). Nice belt

Oh wow, interesting! Where did you find this information? Is there a document online regarding contracts? Thanks

More specifically it is a contract awarded by the Army Transportation Corps, (TC) is their cognizant abbreviation. These would had been procured for supplying transport vessels and are much more common than Navy contract types. IMO probably due to being in storage and not utilized unlike Navy procured types and the alternate use of the manual inflated type. These were used aboard ship quite prominently. I don't think anyone can prove or disprove that these TC contracted belts were used in amphibious landings but the only difference is the lil ole ink stamp so works good in a display.

stealthytyler

I have actually noticed another difference. The C02 screw caps look completely different compared to my other belt which I believe is a Durkee Atwood.

I have actually noticed another difference. The C02 screw caps look completely different compared to my other belt which I believe is a Durkee Atwood.

How different? The earliest production belts had very distinct caps, and are the rarest belts out there. Like Dustin said, any Navy dual type belt is tough to find, but if you have the earliest production variation, then it is super hard to find! From the picture, I can't see any difference compared to the 1944 Durkee-Atwood belt screw caps. Might be worth posting pics of your other belt.

stealthytyler

How different? The earliest production belts had very distinct caps, and are the rarest belts out there. Like Dustin said, any Navy dual type belt is tough to find, but if you have the earliest production variation, then it is super hard to find! From the picture, I can't see any difference compared to the 1944 Durkee-Atwood belt screw caps. Might be worth posting pics of your other belt.

Here is a picture of my other belts C02 caps. Is this the early type you are talking about??

post-131595-0-11015200-1476929912_thumb.jpg

I have a slightly different take on this.

Thank you for documenting the opening of this boxed item,you did a really great job for future reference!

Did opening the box hurt the value? I don't know, maybe. But the collecting community gained an invaluable resource.