Help ID/Date Air Corps Wings and patch

SA1794

I came across these wings and patch today. The wings are marked "sterling" no other markings. Any information about them will be greatly appreciated.

post-5217-0-09681400-1467497428.jpg

post-5217-0-62582700-1467497438.jpg

Those wings are sometimes attributed to civilian flight instructors although they could also be sweetheart items.

here are a set, with the top being directly identified as a civilian instructor. I'm surprised that Russ didn't chime in.

P

post-1519-0-14113200-1467770951.jpg

Hey pfrost - thanks for the info. The wings are just a bit over 3" long. Do you have any idea when these wings were used?

Hi,

Your wings are almost 100% from WWII time period. But this particular pattern of wing (usually seen with an LGB hallmark) was very popular and you see numerous airlines using this pattern into the modern day. I suspect that the pattern was something you could order from LGB and have just about any center device put into it that you wanted.

These are very nice wings.

Patrick

rustywings

Like Patrick, I'm somewhat on the fence as well with these types of wings. A number of experienced collectors believe they are high quality sweetheart pieces... and other well-informed collectors believe they're generic Civilian Flight Instructor wings for those employed at Contract Flight Schools during WWII.

Finding an old Flight School photograph of them being worn would certainly solidify their identity, but unfortunately I've never run across such a picture. On the other hand, I did find a set of near identical USN wings many years ago with a matching cap badge, which adds credence to them being viable insignia for a Flight Instructor.

Both the wings and matching cap piece are marked "LGB - Sterling."

photo (9).JPG

photo (10).JPG