Does Any One Know Anything About This Unit

Bill Scott

Bill Scott

I can not find much out about this 8 inch beauty any help would be appreciated.Scotty

img362.jpg

TreasureHunter

Found this online,

From the early days of the nuclear age, North Island was central to the Navy's capability. A Nuclear Weapons Training Group, Pacific was established at the Air Station, an outgrowth of the early Special Weapons Unit Pacific (SWUPAC), which was established by the Chief of Naval Operations under Commander, Naval Air Force, Pacific, in June 1953. Personnel were drawn from Naval Special Weapons Units, then located at Sandia Base in Albuquerque. These small units provided technically trained teams temporarily to aircraft carriers which had nuclear weapons capability. By 1958 sufficient commands in the Pacific Fleet had developed nuclear weapons capabilities to necessitate assignment of teams as a permanent part of the ship's company. In June 1958 the Command was reorganized as the Nuclear Weapons Training Center, Pacific, with a mission to conduct training for Pacific Fleet units. The Center became the Nuclear Weapons Training Group, Pacific in September 1970.

firefighter

Great looking patch. 'Special Weapons' usually refers to nuclear weapons.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk