71st Infantry Div MP Helmet

hohenstaufen

hohenstaufen

Greetings all,

I would like to share this 71st ID MP helmet and value your opinions. It came from an old collection, so I don't believe it is a reproduction. However, I do have concerns as I would expect a divisional painted helmet to have a yellow MP band rather than white. The 71st did serve in an occupational capacity through July 1946, so it could possibly be from that period. Any thoughts? Many thanks.

post-151334-0-39727900-1459318723.jpgpost-151334-0-67126300-1459318729.jpgpost-151334-0-61410000-1459318737.jpg

Johan Willaert

Just looking at the helmet, it screams easy_green to me.... but then again it depends on how long the former owner has had it..

Just looking at the helmet, it screams easy_green to me.... but then again it depends on how long the former owner has had it..

I agree with Johan, I'm not convinced, it does have that E-G look to it.

Rick

hohenstaufen

Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I believe it to be old enough that it wouldn't have come from easy_green, but weirder things have happened. The white band just doesn't make sense though, unless I am wrong on how the band colors worked. Maybe it was a remake for a vet and somehow ended up in this collection. It displays well at least.

USMC-RECON0321

Sorry, but I have to agree with the others. When I first opened this thread and looked at the first picture (even before reading the other comments) my immediate gut reaction was artificial aging on this one. I don't know if it's EG or not, but I would put a 99% sure reproduction and forced aging on this one, just by the look and color of the white paint. And what I mean by that, is just that dirty look spread evenly on every inch of the white markings,, not the normal un even yellowed look of aging on 70 year old white paint. Nor does it seem to have the heavy somewhat glossy look of a lead based paint of the day. More of a modern day flat paint. "Coming from an old collection" is just about the same in the U.S. as "A barn find" in France. I'm not the type of collector who never wants to hear the story, because the story can be very meaningful if supported with facts, but in this case, old collection or not, this helmet appears to be modern creation in my opinion.

Nice display piece, but I'm sure that's not what you were hoping to find out.

Troy

I have heard of Easy Green on the forum and know what members opinions of him are.Just wondering do any forum members know much about this guy?

I have heard of Easy Green on the forum and know what members opinions of him are.Just wondering do any forum members know much about this guy?

What exactly would do you want to know about him?

What exactly would do you want to know about him?

I was wondering if any members here know him and how long he has been faking helmets.

I was wondering if any members here know him and how long he has been faking helmets.

Hes well known on here as a fake and has been doing it for probably 10 years. Here's one of his creations. the helmet you originally posted is def a fake in my eyes not sure if its one of his maybe one of his earlier helmets.

post-22057-0-81089200-1459385473.jpg

Don't want to hurt your feelings either but that helmet, IMO is as fake as a 3 dollar bill.

Good looking.....but fake.

Ronnie