Named WW2 Marine Uniform- need help with restoration

CHASEUSA11B

Hello everyone. Here is another uniform I've had for awhile but haven't posted before. It is named to an A O Jed licka who was a tech Sergeant in WW2. According to his findagrave and ww2 registry he served on Guadalcanal in Bouganville and Tulagi.

Unfortunately someone removed the rank and shoulder sleeve insignia and I'm considering restoring them.

There are obvious ghosts of the tech sergeant rank so I can track that down. I would like to know which patch he should have on his shoulder. There is a ghost of an Airwing diamond but I don't know which one is appropriate.

Thanks for the help and any other info.

post-6201-0-27284100-1452214118.jpg

Should be easy enough to do...

I just want to make sure I out the right patch. Do you know which air wing it would be?

Looking at the muster rolls on Ancestry I would offer that a 1st MAW patch is most likely what you are after. He served over 2 years with VMSB/VMTB-232 including time on Guadalcanal and Bougainville when those aircraft would have fallen under the command of 1st MAW. His 1945 service looks like time at a Navy training command in Chicago and as part of a Marine Air Casual Squadron. The MACS in 1945 were essentially holding pens for Marines as they were out processing after the war. Interested to hear what others say but I would say a 1stMAW patch is what you are after.

Cheers,

MM

Hello,

Where is located this diamond ?

It looks to be on the bottom of sleeve, right ?

If it's right, it's not a unit patch, but specialty patch. Which is possible as Marine airman. We can determine what kind of specialty he had with his MOS.

Regards.

Hello,

Where is located this diamond ?

It looks to be on the bottom of sleeve, right ?

If it's right, it's not a unit patch, but specialty patch. Which is possible as Marine airman. We can determine what kind of specialty he had with his MOS.

Regards.

I agree. A airwing patch would not go there. it would be above the sergeant stripes instead, so a aerial gunner patch was probably the one there given his status.

Thank you for the input. The Airwing patch im referring to is difficult to se from the pictures but is on the left shoulder we here it belongs. The liner is torn but in person you can see the outline where the stitching used to be.

The other diamond you are seeing is on the cuff. I hadn't noticed that before taking the pictures yesterday

His MOS is 686 - Airplane Instrument Mechanic - so it must've been an aviation mechanic striker on the cuff before he removed it to put on the service stripe. Depending on how long he was assigned to duty in the continental US (it appears to be from Oct. 1944 through 1946), would he have been required to remove the MAW patch since it wasn't his current assignment?

His MOS is 686 - Airplane Instrument Mechanic - so it must've been an aviation mechanic striker on the cuff before he removed it to put on the service stripe. Depending on how long he was assigned to duty in the continental US (it appears to be from Oct. 1944 through 1946), would he have been required to remove the MAW patch since it wasn't his current assignment?

Right he was aviation mechanic.

Maybe he had the Aviation Metalsmith patch ...

This is possible that he never put it again on his coat, after addition of service stripe.

post-67345-0-00763400-1452275233.jpg

Thanks for the info guys. I've been curious as to the regulations regarding Marines wearing shoulder patches while stateside but wasn't sure.

I still need to look for the appropriate patches so I won't be putting anything on for awhile.