My Max Show Finds

Sparty On

These were my Max Show finds. Although the first item wasn't found there I picked it up at the show so I thought I would include it anyways.

First is an Airborne Troop Carrier unifrom

Second is a 5th BG grouping

Last is a fantastic 29th ID grouping.

The Troop Carrier is not identified by has a laundry number present so this will make for a good research project.

post-104736-0-32894500-1444018415.jpg

Next is a 13th Air Force 5th BG "Bomber Barons" grouping. The center piece of this group is obviously the painted suitcase with the Bomber Barons logo. Also on the suit case are different locations or possibly bombing missions that he participated in. The brief research that I have done so far indicates this veteran was a top turret gunner on a B-24 in the PTO.

post-104736-0-81005700-1444019316.jpg

This last group is fantastic out of the woodwork group of two brothers from New Jersey who served in the 29th and 89th IDs. I happened upon this by chance a few hours before leaving show. The group consists of a beautiful ike jacket with green leadership stripes on both sleeves. It appears as thought items are from two brothers who served in the 29th and 89th IDs. The bottom set of ribbons had eroded of because it had sat for so long in the bottom of the trunk. The EAME ribbon has 3 campaign stars but arrowhead. The other five ribbons consists of a Silver Star, American Defense, Good Conduct, WWII Victory Medal. I'm not quite sure what the top middle ribbon could be because of the discoloration present. There is also pin of the flag of Denmark on the right lapel. Also has the PUC and CIB attached. The jacket is very wrinkled and need to be cleaned up a little.

Other items include two pairs of pants a shirt with and 89th ID SSI along with paints from both. A folded funeral flag. There is also an unnamed Purple Heart. I suspect it may belong to the brother who served with 89th since no PH ribbon is present on the Ike. A laundry bag and money belt were also in the trunk. A British doughboy helmet was in the trunk and was possibly used by one of the two as there are several photos dated 1941 in the 3 albums of soldiers wearing this kind of helmet.

post-104736-0-00499600-1444021842.jpg

post-104736-0-98635400-1444021854.jpg

Crew wings and ribbons with campaign stars and oak leaves.

I had a request for a close up of the British made wings on the Troop Carrier uniform

post-104736-0-86938500-1444023784.jpg

post-104736-0-44252400-1444023794.jpg

The Airborne Troop Carrier 4 pocket is a great piece. It is really interesting to see the English made patch and the English made aircrew wing, but most interesting to me is the Italian-made ribbon bar! Rather cool if you ask me.

Allan

Nice stuff! Would it be possible to see the inside of that M1917A1? Is there a manufacture's stamp on the inside rim of the helmet? Thank you.

Thanks for he comment. This helmet is a British MkII helmet with the rubber center. But is dated 1942z