A.E. Co or American Emblem Co of Utica, NY: examples and patterns

Sorry for my dumb question. Did you ever have one of those moments where no matter how many time you see or read something, your brain keeps telling you it's something else?

Yes, nice find. Thank you for sharing.

• 3 months later...
Flightpath

Hi,

I'm looking for some information on this wing, I've seen a lot of A.E.CO USAAF wings but not USN wings. Are these WW2 Era or later? What about the company, are they still around?

All information very welcome!

cheers, John

post-105780-0-97150300-1497036713_thumb.jpg

AE Co made USN aviator wings during WWII and are rather rare. You can see a "probable" example of an A.E. Co wing on Bob's site here:

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usnavy/pilot/unmkdnavypilotlarge.shtml

I don't see anything that makes me have heartburn about this wing. I think it is probably a rather rare WWII/preWWII vintage wing.

AE.CO. stands for American Emblem Company. There were started in Utica, NY in 1914 and remained in operation there until sometime in the 1950s. They then moved their manufacturing facility to New Hartford, NY and remained there until 1963. I believe that they then moved their manufacturing to Troy, MI where they are still in business. They are known for their small metal emblems of all sorts including not only military insignia but also civilian things such as their beautiful cloisonné automobile emblems that the big car makers bought from them to put onto their cars of the 20s, 30s, and 40s when this type of emblem was popular on autos. They also made badges and buttons worn by civilian workers and you name it.

Your Navy wings are hard to give a specific date to, but my first thought is they may be post war since they are not made of sterling as most war time Navy wings are (gold plating over sterling). But that is just a guess and they could be just before the war, to during the war, to anytime after the war. There was a general switch away from sterling with gold plating after the war which is why my first thought goes to post war in age.

Thanks guys,

pfrost, when you say "rather rare" and the one on Bob's site is an unmarked "probable", does this mean that mine (won on Ebay this morning) might be the only navy aviator wings around with this maker's mark?

Cheers, John

Hi

I'm not sure what you are asking byt I think that USN aviator wings hallmarked by AECo are rather rare. While one of the more common makers of USAAF wings, I have only seen a bare handful of AECo made USN wings (I've only seen 2 in fact). I am not sure why that is, but they are very rare.

I would quibble as to these being post war. I have NEVER seen a post WWII USAF wing made by AECo. While I don't know for sure, I was under the impression that AECo went out of business in the late 40's (as did AMICO, I believe) when the need for insignia dropped significantly after the war ended. In fact, to my knowledge I haven't seen anything labeled AECo that I would be able to identify to post-1948 or so... although I could be wrong as I haven't actually done my own research.

My sense is that the wings are likely pre-WWII vintage, or at the very least, early WWII. The use (or not) of sterling silver isn't always a good predictor of when a wing was made, IMHO.

A very nice and rare wing and thank you for sharing.

Patrick

Another thing about AECo is that I don't think that the were ever issued an IOH alpha/numeric code. That makes me think that they weren't involved in making insignia for the Government by the late 50's. Also, while I can't be sure, I don't ever recall seeing and DUI's made by AECo for post-WWII units. Again, I could be wrong, but for the most part, I think you are safe considering anything made by AECo to be WWII at the latest.

Thanks for the information, that's what I wanted to know, I don't have a huge collection or budget but getting this is a great boost to my collection.

I just found an identical AE Co. wing sold on Ebay on May 6th ($203.50/21 bids).

cheers, John

I think Patrick is spot-on with his evaluation. AECo produced a lot of "sterling" marked aerial badges during WWII... but even their Army Air Force line of badges had exceptions. Here's a gilt Flight Surgeon wing with several hallmarks, but no sterling mark.

What's curious is when they discontinued the use of gilt and went with silver USAAF Flight Surgeon wings in September 1944, AECo produced both "sterling" marked and unmarked silver wings as well...

IMG_06702 (1024x651).jpg

Hi,
I have been looking for AECo. navy wings on the net, so far I have only found one other AECo. marked navy wing, I wondered why they made so few, could they be samples or prototypes, maybe there was no real production run?
Cheers, John

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd add mine to this post. In fact..... this post was the only info I could find anywhere on the net prior to purchasing this wing. Ive got to thank the people who started this

forum and all the members who contribute.

Its a very valuable resource on wings.

They are heavy at 23.1 grams although not as heavy as my first pattern AECO sterling wings. Those are 29.3 grams.

They is still a good anount of sliver left on the front of these. More than the pictures show. Its tarnished but its there.

The only place Ive ever seen these wings is on this thread. Other than the pair I have.

Only two Ive ever seen.

post-181333-0-91752800-1536867687_thumb.jpg

Nice wings! There a lot cleaner looking than my dirty example.

I've thought about cleaning the heavy patina on mine. At least the front side. I just don't want to take any silver plating off.

Bob

Nice wings! There a lot cleaner looking than my dirty example.

I've thought about cleaning the heavy patina on mine. At least the front side. I just don't want to take any silver plating off.

Bob

Bob,

well, I did clean em with water. And I know some out there will think it horrible...

But I lightly went over them with magic wading and shined them up a bit. What I found was that the tarnish was making them look solid yellow.

The photos add yellow as well.

There is still some silver on the front. I dont believe the wading removes any silver. What concerned me is the green oxidation eating into the wing in spots.

I noticed your wing has the same. Thank you for this post as it was the only info I could find on these anywhere!

Dave

You opened up a can of worms! Half will say you committed a heinous act and the other will say you didn't. I suggest some heavy duty metal strippers and a wire buffing wheel, myself.

You opened up a can of worms! Half will say you committed a heinous act and the other will say you didn't. I suggest some heavy duty metal strippers and a wire buffing wheel, myself.

lol lol,

I remember what happened last time I mentioned cleaning them!

I cleaned some silver wings 3 months ago. They are already developing a new patina. A few more months and you'd never know they were cleaned!

I only lightly hit the front of these to see how much silver is left. Quite a bit really.

How does one stop the brass oxidation where the silver wore away? That green eats into the metal.

Bob,

well, I did clean em with water. And I know some out there will think it horrible...

But I lightly went over them with magic wading and shined them up a bit. What I found was that the tarnish was making them look solid yellow.

The photos add yellow as well.

There is still some silver on the front. I dont believe the wading removes any silver. What concerned me is the green oxidation eating into the wing in spots...

Dave

Perfect... that is the technique many museums use to avoid applying any kind of abrasive.

lol..

Yes well, I have heard the pro's and cons.

For whatever its worth... (Cup of coffee) lol

I look at it like this. If you are collecting wings to turn them over again for a profit, then cleaning them up, may not be your best bet.

If on the other hand, you are collecting them to keep them, then what does it really matter what you do with them?

If you leave them alone after shining them up... a good patina will build up in months.

If one really liked the "Patina Look", I've read all kinds of stories about unscrupulous character's selling wings that have been dipped in nasty things to accomplish

that valued patina look. You could shine a wing and spend a week blowing cigarette smoke on em and accomplish the same tarnished look.

I know the American military, when not in combat, takes spit and polish seriously.

In ww2... Im going to wager they kept their wings polished. And since Im not selling my wings... I go for cleaning them up.

Ive had some so filthy I could hardly make out the hallmark.

To me its my personal choice. Because I'm not collecting to sell.

lol... By the time my wings are sold (God willing) they will have a great Patina again for their next owners!!!

lol

Have a great weekend Folks!

Here are the wings after I cleaned (Not Polished) the wings according to the formula given in the link

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/vintage-sterling-and-brass-insignia-polish-or-dont-polish-it.7658/

scroll to the post by 645.jpg?1445854478

Zemke Fan

He has complete directions.

Boiling water and baking soda and aluminum foil.

I did this to them twice for about 5 min each.

as I was rinsing them I brushed them off with a tooth brush and a q tip and any remaing tarnish wiped off at that time.

Its a chemical reaction and no abrasives are involved. It also seems to have removed and stopped the green oxidation

on the brass. I like em like this better than the way they were.

Dave

post-181333-0-80568300-1537318984_thumb.jpg