Stonewall Jackson in the 7 Days

gpspartans

in discussing "Rebel Yell" we discussed several Generals but my question today is, if Jackson had been able to perform at Beaver Dam (he was exhausted for sure) would McClellan's 111 Corp have been destroyed? And what would have happened to the his Army had that happened?

Seven Days was not Jackson's best showing and he lived up to his reputation of attacking at his convenience. I know he was not there to make friends with peers and at that he succeeded. It is also a price for having a firebrand like A.P.Hill as a Division Commander who is very aggressive and will not wait for tardy Generals.

The South might have taken the day if he had attacked on time...it's been years since I read on this battle. ..but I think this is the point Jackson napped and then attacked when he was ready.

gpspartans

I don't think you can blame Jackson. he must have been totally exhausted after the Valley Campaign. and his need for secrecy hurt his commanders chances of picking up the slack. Maybe Lee misjudged human endurance? I think a fully rested Jackson would have destroyed 111 Corp and with Mac's fondness for paranoia he would have compounded his mistakes and made for a disaster that could have brought an early CSA victory and end to the war with the nation divided.

I am religious, not overly, but I do see the hand of God in military matters through time and this is one of them. for me it comes down to a simple matter of timing saving the Union here. was God at work, maybe?

tarbridge

I have never been a big a Jackson fan just like a lot of his contemporaries were not . I've always thought the Generals who died the early warrior death were allowed mostly to reach a mythical status.They no longer had to fight a overpowering Army of manpower....weapons...foodstuffs...horses...industry...just to name a few.The Confederacy could not run on Heart forever.The Generals that had to slog through a War with all the problems thrown at them...all their men improperly dressed...armed...basically under supplied in all categories. On top of that President Davis also wanted to be the Army Commander and over ride the decision of Field Commander's. .Davis's advisors were normally disgraced or not the most competent Generals and had been removed from active command. So...if you survived...as the War progressed and the troops were tired...under supplied and the Union kept reloading manpower...you lost a battle...with that...the Confederate government's faith and normally your job...politics played heavily.

Early in the War, our venerable Lee even had to run all battle plans through Davis for approval...at times we were our own worst enemies.

Little Mac did see shadows and and was bad at second guessing himself...but even if there had been a Union loss that day...the War would continue and eventually our South would loose.I think you underestimate our Yankee brethren...the Heart of the South could not fuel a Army indefinitely.

gpspartans

Never gave the difference between the early war and the later, when the Union reached it's peak. something to think about. still, at this time all signs pointed to a CSA victory and if Jackson had been rested 111 Corps would have been in trouble. maybe the whole war would have ended and with a CSA victory. I can't help it, I am a Jackson fan.

tarbridge

Never gave the difference between the early war and the later, when the Union reached it's peak. something to think about. still, at this time all signs pointed to a CSA victory and if Jackson had been rested 111 Corps would have been in trouble. maybe the whole war would have ended and with a CSA victory. I can't help it, I am a Jackson fan.

I'll buy you a coffee if we ever met but I still do not agree.You are correct..I expounded the difference to give an explanation of what could happen to good Generals with no resources...they could be fired or ostracized...many end up banished to positions of no consequences. I believe a loss for the North in that battle would not change the final outcome.