Points system for return to U.S.

JerryK

post-213-1217094667.jpg

There was a discussion on Mark Bando's site about the point system used to rotate soldiers home at the end of WW2. Here is a document that shows that point system. I posted it here because I couldn't figure out how to post on that site. I will be including a link on that site to this site. Lt. Wann was in a Tank Destroyer unit.

Jerry

Interesting document, Jerry. With 94 points, Lt. Wann should have been in good shape for going home early. My dad had 92 points (as of Sept. 2, 1945) and he was already headed home.

Hello,

I am just starting to go through two notebooks of documents on Wann. He started out in the Indiana National Guard before the U.S. was in WW2, was a S/Sgt. in A TD unit in Europe, won a battlefield commission,did occupation duty in Germany, went to Japan for occupation duty, was in Korea in the early fighting for a year with an artillery unit, went back to Germany, was let go as an officer after Korean War downsizing, re-enlisted as a Master Sgt., went to Iran as an Artillery insructor, did ROTC duty at Purdue University and finally retired. He had the points but evidently liked the army. It certainly served him well. Some of his early letters are very poorly written, but you can see a marked improvement as his career in the army progresses.

Jerry