WW2 41BG 47BS " Mr Lucky" M422A Flying Jacket

8thairforce

8thairforce

Here is my latest addition to the collection. I have always stayed clear of USN Flying Jackets as my main focus is 8AAF Bomber groups who were stationed here in England. But this weekend this lovely M422A popped up my way at a very reasonable price and the artwork just blew me away !! My understanding is that it was worn by a member of the 41st Bomb Group, 47th Bomb Squadron flying the B-25 M " Mr Lucky " out in the Pacific . There is no label in the back but there is a sizing label 40 sewn into one of the pockets. Its also nice to see the pins inside where I guess the Blood Chit was attached. Sorry for the photos they are not mine they are the ones I received from the seller. I look forward to receiving any comments you may have. I had a brief look on the net and pulled up a photo of the original B-25 " Mr Lucky " ; the nose art writing is a dead match !!

post-101904-0-53174000-1427805966.jpg

post-101904-0-60312200-1427805983.jpg

8thairforce

Sorry folks ; can I please ask a question - What sort of value does a painted USN flying jacket like this hold ? I am familiar with A2 prices as they are my main collection focus but I am not familiar with the USN Flying jackets values !

Unfortunately this jacket does not appear to be a WW2 issued M-422A. There are a few issues that tip it off. More photos will help for a positive ID.

JD

Collar looks wrong as well. Pics of the lining, under collar on back side should be marked USN. Zippers and cuffs may have been replaced, but it still looks off. Good clear pics of the whole jacket will help.

JD

That is one awesome jacket. It almost looks like a g1.

The more I look at this, that's what I'm thinking this is, a late 50's to mid 60's G-1 jacket. This jacket could very well be something the vet had painted in the 60's or later as a reunion type wearer? There are a lot of possibilities, the one thing I am sure of is that it is not a M-422A or WW2 jacket.

JD

8thairforce

It should arrive in the next day or so and I will take some pics . I know it has USN punched out of the leather vertically near the zip. As I said it cost me next to nothing so nothing lost :) just my pride a little dented ! I shod stick to the A2's that I know :-) Jim

Hey Jim, not meaning to put down your purchase. Just wanted you to know what it really is. If it has USN punched in the windflap, it's definitely a late 50's to 60's era G-1 jacket. I'm glad to hear you didn't pay much for it. If it was misrepresented, maybe you can return it?

JD

8thairforce

JD . Yr correct as always my friend : certainly a G1 :-)

Can I please ask what value this jacket holds ? as I will be moving it on :) Jim .

No problem Jim! Glad to help any time!

As for value, with the replaced zipper and knits, and considering the condition of the collar, I would say around $100 or so.

JD