Barograph and other Aviator's effects

mccooper

A little more about Strickland. He had friends sign another pilot's log. I have ID'ed the Foggiani, the others are unknown but possibly from his stay in England. The Benedict mentioned is most likely the one referred to in the funeral entry listed above. Are any of the other names known to anyone on the Forum? Thank you.

mccooper

post-151387-0-82094900-1425745995.jpg

Your Foggiani collection is getting infinitely more interesting the more we discuss it! More pieces are falling into place than I initially thought possible.

For example, the name Robert D. Knapp rings a bell...and sure enough I found his portrait (from my collection) & squadron bio which should compliment your data nicely.

I am attaching Knapp's studio portrait, along with a history of the 92nd Aero Squadron (this is the squadron Strickland was assigned to after Foggia).

A brief write up on Lt. Knapp & the 92nd AS:

"Lt. Robert D. Knapp was assigned to the 92nd Aero Squadron. This squadron was formed at Kelly Field September 1, 1917. The 92nd AS, under the command of Lt. M.C. Hollingsworth, was assigned to 38 Squadron, BEF till late July 1918. By the time the 92nd AS was assigned to No. 38 Squadron, this RAF unit was designated a night bomber squadron and operating out of Dunkirk. 38 Squadron targeted Ostend docks, and other German canals, railways, dumps and airfields in Belgium [uncertain if the 92nd AS flew combat missions with 38 Squadron].

The 92nd AS trained as an Observation & Bombardment till August 15, 1918. Afterwards, it was schooled in the fine art of night bombardment for the rest of their time overseas.
After the war, the 92nd AS was shipped back to the States November 22, 1918 on the SS Minnekahda."
-Chuck

post-518-0-34571100-1425750134.jpg

post-518-0-47320000-1425751040.jpg

Chuck-

Thank you for the great data on the 92nd. I have revised the friends' list to further ID the men as either Foggia or 92nd. Only 2 still go on unidentified. Nowhere in the paperwork I have does Strickland mention the 92nd by name. He joined as an enlisted airman, was discharged on May 17, 1918 to accept a commission at Foggia as a 2nd Lt. in the air service. His departure on November 22nd is not mentioned, but does jibe with his noted arrival date of December 4th. He left Malpensa on 9/3 and arrived at Ford junction 9/12. Was he assigned to the 92nd after he left Italy? Thanks again for all your help and data; I am lost w/o a compass when it comes to the Air Service.

coop

post-151387-0-30054100-1425758127.jpg

Another document - here is the signature of the officer (Fleischmann?) who signed Strickland's discharge papers in Foggia. He was discharged as a PFC, and accepted as a 2nd Lt.

post-151387-0-09197900-1425758337.jpg

In regards to post #23, the first name must be Lt. Norton Downs, Jr who was KIC in the English Channel October 23, 1918.

The other name is 2nd Lt. George Jonathan Golonsbe who was KIC at Ford Junction, England in October 1918. Apparently Strickland misspelled the name in his entry.

(source J.J. Smith's casualty roster of the U.S. Army Air Service)

Still working on the other "unknowns" on the Strickland friends list.

No luck on either of the unknowns on the "friends" list. Let me know if yo get a more definitive spelling. The closest match I could find for E.F. Duggen (Dugger?) is an E.A. Donnan who trained at Foggia.

As for the officer who signed Strickland's discharge paper, that is Charles M. Fleischman. He shows up as trained at Foggia but not assigned to an operational unit prior to the Armistice (ref. pg.416 of 'Wings of Honor').

It stands to reason that Strickland was assigned to the 92nd AS after he graduated his Italian training...

I have many aviation resources at my disposal, so please feel free to contact me directly with any further questions on the WWI U.S. Air Service.

-Chuck

Chuck-

Once again, many thanks for your generous sharing of knowledge concerning J,J. Strickland and his career. It was not a cheap purchase initially, but with the knowledge you have added, the grouping is now pure gold! A very strong addition to my "American in Italy" collection. Here is the entry for Duggen (?). What do you think?

coop

post-151387-0-33732400-1425826719.jpg

Yup. That looks like Ralph Chliggins alright...and E.F. Duggen. But I'm sorry to say I've still had no luck with either of those names. If they were both enlisted men, that will make it much more difficult to research since not many WWI EM aviation rosters were kept.

-Chuck

It's my pleasure. Great to dust off the refs once in a while...

Don't hesitate to ask other questions on the topic! I'm particularly interested in WWI Aviation imagery, especially if the pics show serial #s or squadron insignia from either side of that war.

Regards,

Chuck

• 2 months later...

Escadrille-

Great! Thank you for sharing. Really appreciate confirming another "friend of John." All the best,

mccooper

Escadrille-

Did some checking into Bennett - quite a guy. Retired as a Colonel in the Air Force, DFC and Legion of Merit. Participated in a 1927 race from California to Hawaii, sponsored by Mr. Dole of the Fruit Co. Attempted to break the record for aerial circumnavigation - did not. Was a pilot for American Airlines, and Director of Washington National Airport. All done by Bennett H. Griffin, so am assuming him to be the man whose wings you have. Very nice. Died in 1978. Wish I could find that much that easily on Strickland! Thanks again for sharing.

mccooper