Large handmade name tag with some unknown lettering

Siamundo

I was hoping someone might recognize this style of name tag and maybe be able to educate me on what the little letters at the bottom represent. The first set is either 01L or O1L, not sure if the first character is a letter or number. The second set is DTL or OTL. Not positive what the first character is. Thank you for any information.

post-2744-0-78164500-1425245128.jpg

post-2744-0-96805500-1425245135.jpg

Proud Kraut

1. The name sounds German.

2. The German abrevation for Oberleutnant (1st Lt) is OLt.

3. The German abrevation for Oberstleutnant (LtCol.) is OTL.

4. I have never seen such a name tag in the German army.

I have no idea why a nametag should list two ranks. But IF it is German and military my guess would be Luftwaffe (Air Force).

Captainofthe7th

I think it is Korean. The embroidery looks Far Eastern and the characters look like Hangul.

Hangul is a phonetic alphabet and each character is a letter or a syllable. To write Warmann would be styled a bit different than what is embroidered, since when written the characters are stacked or arranged within a square and this is written linearly. So what is embroidered here isn't exactly "Warmann." Literally translated, it would be "OOA MUN," being sounded out as syllables and not necessarily individual letters.

War is hard for me to figure out. I think it should be written as 와 which is a 'wa' sound. This is written linearly, however, like the english alphabet. The ㅇis a silent noise or 'nothing.' ㅗ is 'oh' as in 'dough' and ㅏis 'ah.' R does not come at the end of a word. There is a character ㄹ which is the R sound only at the beginning of a word, but an L sound if placed at the end.

Mun - 문 - Notice the characters are the same, with the 'box,' the 'T' and the 'L', which are actually characters for M U and N. M is ᄆ, and 'un' is 운, but when combined the ᄆreplaced the O figure as the O is really considered 'nothing' or silent and then the characters are stacked and you have the complete syllable.

Hope that helps.

Rob

Thank you both very much for the information. I hadn't even considered the possibility a German link and I would have never guessed those might be stylized Korean characters. I have seen name tags that do have a an Asian translation for the wearer's last name but that never dawned on me for this one as I thought the characters looked like English.

I swear I just saw this name tag at SOS ... are you the new owner? It caught my eye because it certainly looked Korean to me. Nice tag.