Airborne! The FIRST AF PJs---1352nd AAFBU and 10th Air Jungle Rescue

beef

Thanks! I will post the uniform jacket, with patches, a row of ribbons (one seems to be missing) and pin bar for the Brit jump wings later today, hopefully.

Brian Dentino

This really is one of the best groupings I have seen posted anywhere on here in a long time! This is about as rare as it gets for a CBI collector.....great patches. Love that AB arced CBI patch...never seen one like it before.

• 1 year later...

The 1352nd AAFBU, originally know as "Blackie's Gang" was the first AAF Para-Rescue ever formed. As a part of the 10th AF, the utilized a variety of aircraft, including early Sikorsky helicopters (Really) to search and rescue (or recover the remains) of downed airmen that flew the Hump in the CBI. A small group of these men were jump qualified in order to insert into areas inaccessible by ground or without viable landing strips. They attended the British parachute course at Imphal, India. The 1352nd items, I received from SGT Burnham "Burnie" Cockrell of Jackson, MS. The other items, I lumped into the display and are unnamed, but were purchased in the 1980s from Clint C. Blanchard, a Florida retired AF officer who sold and collected AF items. Clint was always a pleasure to deal with. These are behind glass, so pardon the "haloes."

Amazing grouping!

I am restoring an actual 1352nd aircraft, recovered from India and if you ever decide to part with the 1352nd stuff I would be thrilled to purchase it. Thank you sharing. It is interesting most of the modeling renderings of the unusual 1352nd paint scheme on the aircraft have been done in "yellow and black"...it has also been suggested that it may have been "yellow and BLUE"... From the sq crest etc I am sincerely leaning blue and want to bring this up to Dana Bell and some of the color other experts. I would love to see any other photos you may have from SGT Cockrell. Would like even more to ask a living vet!! Sadly most are gone.

New to the forum here- Thanks again for posting your grouping

• 1 month later...

WOW, can't believe I missed this post when it was new. I wonder if these guys were awarded the US parachutist wing?

Several times years ago, there was a post war officer's khaki blouse on Ebay with a 9 place hand stitched ribbon group. It had an airmedal as I recall and a GCM. There was a British para wing sewn above the US ribbons and no evidence of US wings ever pinned on.i believe it had a CBI right sleeve patch.

Able2

• 3 weeks later...

WOW, can't believe I missed this post when it was new. I wonder if these guys were awarded the US parachutist wing?

Several times years ago, there was a post war officer's khaki blouse on Ebay with a 9 place hand stitched ribbon group. It had an airmedal as I recall and a GCM. There was a British para wing sewn above the US ribbons and no evidence of US wings ever pinned on.i believe it had a CBI right sleeve patch.

Able2

Able2, to answer your question, no they were not. At least not at that time, anyway. IDK what the policy was in later years. I specifically asked Mr. Cockrell that question. He said no, that they weren't "real paratroopers" having not gone thru Fort Benning. I had to correct him on that. Anyone who made over a dozen jumps into rough terrain and potentially hostile territory in the Himalayas to assist out or recover the remains of aircrew can have my own master blasters! Uniform picture to follow.