Ravenoville-Normandy

bert

Me,behind the steering wheel of the jeep, in the mainstreet of Ravenoville-France before the village bar

Near Ravenoville Aco 506th 101st Airborne Division was dropped in the early morning of june 6th 1944!

DSC00012-1.jpg

Enjoy,

Bert

Great shot! I so want to go back to Normandy! Back in 1999, I walked from Ravenoville to Carentan using Donald Burgett's map in his book, Currahee. What memories....... crying.gif

Here's a shot of the area where Burgett landed East of Ravenoville, complete with cows. This is where I got dropped off to do my walk. The next shot is in Ravenoville looking at the church on the hill..... Sorry for hijacking the thread. You brought back a flood of memories.

-Ski

post-3043-1215993997.jpg

post-3043-1215994059.jpg

Great shot! I so want to go back to Normandy! Back in 1999, I walked from Ravenoville to Carentan using Donald Burgett's map in his book, Currahee. What memories....... crying.gif

Here's a shot of the area where Burgett landed East of Ravenoville, complete with cows. This is where I got dropped off to do my walk. The next shot is in Ravenoville looking at the church on the hill..... Sorry for hijacking the thread. You brought back a flood of memories.

-Ski

No problem Ski,I did the same walk!!

Jumped on the field by night,it was realy quite and dark,wait untill dawn and start to walk the same path as Don Burgett did on the early morning of june 6th 1944!!

Airborne,

Bert thumbsup.gif

bertinRavenoville.jpg

Me posing on the DZ on wich Don Burgett came down in the early morning of june 6th 1944!

From there I walked the same route to Caretan He did just for the honor of those who didn't make it(K.I.A)

This was for all the Allied Soldiers!!

Bert ;)

Ahh cool!!! It's neat to see others do the same. I just wish I knew about Brecourt Manor at the time, especially knowing that I walked right past it!!

I actually E-mailed back and forth with Donald Burgett before my trip. He was really kind in taking the time to talk with me. I lucked out and got a signed copy of his book after my return, thanks to a friend.

-Ski

Ahh cool!!! It's neat to see others do the same. I just wish I knew about Brecourt Manor at the time, especially knowing that I walked right past it!!

I actually E-mailed back and forth with Donald Burgett before my trip. He was really kind in taking the time to talk with me. I lucked out and got a signed copy of his book after my return, thanks to a friend.

-Ski

Hey guys,

I've done the same, and I too had Don sign a couple of things.

Here is my signed 1967 first edition and framed picture. I also got him to sign a paperback.

They are some of my favorite items. thumbsup.gif

uniforms-3.jpg

Hey guys,

I've done the same, and I too had Don sign a couple of things.

Here is my signed 1967 first edition and framed picture. I also got him to sign a paperback.

They are some of my favorite items. thumbsup.gif

uniforms-3.jpg

Hy Mr.X,

I have the same copy of that book in Dutch,also bought in 1967.

I made contact with Don by normal post-mail.

There where no computers at that time :lol:

Bert

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends,

Currahhee was my only book when I was a little boy. in French " 10 jours en Enfer"

In 1994, I locate the exact landing point where Sir Burgett touch the French land.

I want to sayed many thanks to Sir Burgett for the "job"....

Cheers

Emile

In 1977 my USAR unit, 11th SFGA, conducted a war in the Ocala Natl Forest in N Florida. As I motored between the airhead and the Forest, I passed a little house with a mailbox labelled BURGETT and IIRC two or more American flags flying. I wondered if the occupants might be relatives of Don Burgett and mentioned it to a couple of my NCOs, who were fans of the book (IIRC one had served in a 506 bn at Ft Campbell). They dropped in and put the question to them: they were Don's PARENTS and astounded that anybody connected to "that book of his", let alone could be fans. Over the next several days, the word spread and there were dozens of jeeps and deuces dropping by, parking on the shoulder of the road. Finally, our State Police liaison banned such parking, but a squad car there and the Burgetts put out a sign saying "We are not home -- Gone Fishing". On the last day of the FTX, I saw Pa Burgett, did a U turn, paerked behind the trooper (who I knew by then) and shook his hand, and he said I was the 100th Friend of Don Burgett for the week. What an honor.