allowing a TV show to film your collection

Paul70

I've had students tell me that my place looks like someone is making it look like no one is home and is inside waiting... I took it as a very lofty compliment. My worst fear, though, is that kid that turns into a tweaker and comes back to clean me out one day when I'm not home, but the security system works OK I figure, so we'll just see what happens.

No one around here knows what I have besides very few people.

I would NEVER allow a TV show to film my collection... too many potential problems.

Unless I lived in a high security mansion with crazy alarm systems, security guards, etc... with no worries about a break-in or the like.

Also, my wife and I are usually home (at least one of us).

We are armed at all times and have two dogs.. I highly doubt anybody wants to mess with that kind of trouble.

As most have stated... I think the main targets are when they know you aren't home.

-Brian

• 2 months later...

Nope, no way in heck.

Now, I do living history displays several times a year, but I'm in a neutral, public place and usually as part of a much larger group effort. I've been interviewed for local TM lots of times at these things, usually standing in front of my 1944 Jeep. I talk about my war correspondent or Bill Mauldin stuff, but don't mention value or anything like that. It's in generalities, nothing specific.

And the press will make you out to be odd, otherwise, where's the story? No good can come from this, as at best you'll be portrayed at slightly off from center... with firearms. Who wants to deal with that?

I think the main targets are when they know you aren't home.

Yeah, nothing cracks me up more than the crazed dreams of some men where they're like the kid in "Home Alone" when someone breaks in, but with very bloody results. You hear people talking like this at gun shows all the time. Gives me the creeps thinking there are men who want someone to break in so they can [try to] light them up. The last thing I wanna do is to cap someone, regardless what they're doing. But the thing that these Steve Segal wanna-be types is that most crooks are gonna wait until you're away from the house. And all your chest-thumping Rambo nonsense about turning your living room into a slaughterhouse won't amount to a hill of beans if you're at the Mall when they come a' calling...

Yup. If you are at home... or have a dog that's home... 99% of would-be intruders will look for another easier target.

-Brian

Yup. If you are at home... or have a dog that's home... 99% of would-be intruders will look for another easier target.

-Brian

and or have an alarm system clearly posted-that helps a little too.

since a militaria collection is valuable, it's kind of like showing your money and valuables to strangers, so I keep it hidden from public view

just like when your out shopping, you never leave valuables in plain sight, always lock it in the trunk or dont leave it in the car, if people know about it , then it's like leaving your home vulnerable to a burglary, loose lips sink ships.

Just like how I snicker at cars with NRA member stickers on them. You might as well have a sticker saying, "Follow me to my guns and then wait until I'm not home"...