2AD 41st Armored Infantry Regiment vs Battalion

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Along with the 3AD, 2AD remained a 'Heavy' Armored Division throughout WW2, thus having an Armored Infantry Regiment vs different Armored Infantry Battalions in the 'Light' Armored Divisions...

Last week while visiting the Netherlands Margraten ABMC Cemetery I noticed something unusual.

When referring to Infantry Regiments, the crosses bear only the numerical reference along with Infantry ( eg 116 INF), so one would expect graves of members of the 41AIR to be marked 41 INF, which is the case for pretty much every 41st Regiment marked cross on the cemetery... But I noticed at least one cross marked 41 INF BN, located just a few crosses from one marked 41 INF, with the date of death being just a few days apart...

Any ideas what could be the reason for this?

post-92-0-96603200-1414923963.jpg

post-92-0-73944700-1414923976.jpg

Error on the report maybe?

You could ask the staff to rectify this, I know in some cases they replace the headstone (or correct it).

Erwin

Probably an error, as stated above, that occured when filling in the (burial) reports. I have come across some errors on crosses and in IDPF's.

The soldiers were buried there with the hundreds on a day, so it's understandable that errors occured.