Graffiti'd Vietnam helmet

GeneralCheese

Just got this one recently. Absolutely covered in graffiti, and faded 100% how you'd expect it to be. The only thing is I think maybe only the cover and liner made it home, and the shell is one he bought to display it on, due to the weird lime-green paint job on it (unless someone can explain it?). I also got a letter dated 1966, and the initials on the helmet match the letters of the name, as well as the 17th Arty and 1st Cav markings. Take a look:

post-30085-0-75957500-1411845662.jpg

I have a feeling the cover is probably the only original Vietnam used piece, the shell & liner may not even be related to the cover.

the shell doesnt appear to match the wear on the cover, the bright green paint doesnt show much use around the edge

The markings all seem to be done with 2 or 3 pens, all around the same time. Perhaps its the pictures, but it looks like the soldier sat down at one point during his tour, or after and did all this, not spaced out over the length of a tour due to the same fading on all the markings. Thats if the helmet is original. It could also be a tell tale sign its fake. Any provenance?

The markings all seem to be done with 2 or 3 pens, all around the same time. Perhaps its the pictures, but it looks like the soldier sat down at one point during his tour, or after and did all this, not spaced out over the length of a tour due to the same fading on all the markings. Thats if the helmet is original. It could also be a tell tale sign its fake. Any provenance?

There is definitely a difference in the fading of some of the markings, it's just the pictures don't show it well because I used flash. The provenance is pretty solid, it was sold to me buy a guy who claimed he was the vet's son (and the same last name proves that). He also included a letter and envelope, with a date of Sep 22 1966. The name on the envelope matches the initials, division, battalion, and air cav markings, as well as where it was shipped to in South Chicago.

I have looked at this piece and definitely feel that writing has been added at different times during it's life. The helmet and liner in my opinion are not original bring backs and the camo cover was added.

Too be honest This piece dosent fill me with that warm fuzzy feeling. There is a lot going on with many slogans and writing to look at and its all very mish mash. I'm going to agree with Ronnie and say that the soldier may have sat down at length and filled this camo in after duty or maybe during.

I believe that some of the pen is added after as it looks a lot fresher.

There is writing there that has age and wear but I do feel some of it was not done in theatre.

I have looked at this piece and definitely feel that writing has been added at different times during it's life. The helmet and liner in my opinion are not original bring backs and the camo cover was added.

Too be honest This piece dosent fill me with that warm fuzzy feeling. There is a lot going on with many slogans and writing to look at and its all very mish mash. I'm going to agree with Ronnie and say that the soldier may have sat down at length and filled this camo in after duty or maybe during.

I believe that some of the pen is added after as it looks a lot fresher.

There is writing there that has age and wear but I do feel some of it was not done in theatre.

I have to agree. When it came time to turn in our equipment, told to remove covers and seperate shell from liner. I stuffed the cover in my pocket, and brought it home. Weeks or months after, I added to the cover by things I remembered and wanted to remember. Most of the original writing I put on was with a pencil, and some with pen. Magic markers came later to highlight. Today it would be hard to tell what was then and what was afterwards, because of time and age with some rip and tearing to areas afterwards.

What I see on that cover is memories and thoughts added later, much later. To fresh.

I'll take some pictures without flash later, you will see how faded they are. The reason they all seem so bright is because of that, for example, the "Hell's Angel's Salinas" is almost impossible to see in natural light.

Original graffiti helmets are hard to photo, I also have one which raised question, but the provenance was solid. I couldn't get the pictures to give it justice, I believe this cover is a good one, though looking at the shell I have concerns its original to the cover.

J

Original graffiti helmets are hard to photo, I also have one which raised question, but the provenance was solid. I couldn't get the pictures to give it justice, I believe this cover is a good one, though looking at the shell I have concerns its original to the cover.

J

I agree justin , sometimes the camera does lie. I just feel this piece is not a theatre done piece , well at least not all of it.

Also I'm not sure of that huge rank at the front.

The helmet and liner in my opinion are not bring backs , more like camo cover fillers.

You can see why this one was covered up ,

D