scary encounter with a seller

WW2JAKE

Today i was approached while in a store parking lot by a man who i did not recognize who said he heard i collect american militaria. this put me off because i dont openly advertise that i collect due to a problem with break ins in this neighborhood. anyways he says he has an original 101st airborne 506th 2nd battalion helmet with original liner... obviously i wasnt buying into this story. but i followed him to his car (against my better judgment) where he pulled out a helmet with the famous spades he puts it in my hands and says "its yours for $500" and thinking it was a joke my immediate response was "do i look that stupid?" and he looks at me and says "this is the real deal" now im holding this in my hand and pull the liner out of the shell and its a 1970 dated vietnam ground troops liner missing the headband and the shell itself was a rear seam stainless steel rim helmet with 1 chinstrap secured with a Euro clone metal clip and then there was the big yellow "U SCH-71" stamped inside and after telling him all the issues still assuming its a joke he starts screaming to see my credentials that "just because you are a collector doesnt mean you know everything. I actually served! and what you call a repo i call never issued!" and he started getting very angry especially when i responded with "why would an unissued helmet have markings of a specific regiment and battalion" and this is when he got furious claiming i was a "fraud with no life and to go talk to my imaginary friends online" and grabbed the helmet from my hand and what i assume was attempt to throw it at me but luckly i moved and it hit the pavement... and then called the police... sense when did collecting become so violent and dangerous?

moral is be careful who you deal with.

Well, that a weird experience ... don't know exactly why he became so angry at you, but he needs some self-control lessons :rolleyes:

Glad you made it out without damage, this may remind us that not everybody is full of good intentions.

E

Well, that a weird experience ... don't know exactly why he became so angry at you, but he needs some self-control lessons :rolleyes:

Glad you made it out without damage, this may remind us that not everybody is full of good intentions.

E

id say... wanted $500 and threw a helmet at me lol

That is one spooky encounter...

How on earth did he know you collect militaria?

Glad you got outta there safely though...

That is one spooky encounter...

How on earth did he know you collect militaria?

Glad you got outta there safely though...

i dont know. but i plan on finding out... perhaps someone i bought from online in the past? in which case they would have had to follow me which scares the heck out of me... or possibly a close friend knows him and told him in which case i may have to stop talking to them.

but regardless always listen to you gut feelings and never follow a stranger to their car no matter what they offer you lol.

You know what I think?...

I have a feeling that someone knew who you were and got this person to confront you...

I hope you will be OK mate..

You know what I think?...

I have a feeling that someone knew who you were and got this person to confront you...

I hope you will be OK mate..

well that makes me feel all warm inside...

Garandomatic

Crackpots like this make me glad I got a CCW license and carry almost every time I step out of the house. You never know when crazy will strike.

Crackpots like this make me glad I got a CCW license and carry almost every time I step out of the house. You never know when crazy will strike.

yeah especially around here... but being underage to buy a pistol (for those who didnt know that) i dont have that option right now my best hope is a knife lol

What you need WW2JAKE is a couple of loud, angry, boozed up Aussies to get over there and sort him out!

We aren't very disciplined people here in the West but we love a good knock around!

Garandomatic

yeah especially around here... but being underage to buy a pistol (for those who didnt know that) i dont have that option right now my best hope is a knife lol

Just don't call that knife a weapon. It's a "tool." Preferably a folding knife with a blade length that is within your local laws' specifications.

Just don't call that knife a weapon. It's a "tool." Preferably a folding knife with a blade length that is within your local laws' specifications.

i didnt call it a weapon

I've never had a seller act like that, but I did have a wierdo start screaming at me at a gun show. I had just bought a WWII German helmet, it was back in the day when they were $20 to $50 for an original one. A guy ran up to me and started screaming at me that I was a Nazi. I mainly collect US items but I also collect helmets of the world. It might have been a case of mistaken identity since I share a hometown with Gerhard Lauck the Neo-Nazi. He walked by me one day after appearing in court for something and we were the same height, build, hair, glasses and he had a Hitler mustache with mine a full mustache. I gave my self a buzz cut that night.

I've never had a seller act like that, but I did have a wierdo start screaming at me at a gun show. I had just bought a WWII German helmet, it was back in the day when they were $20 to $50 for an original one. A guy ran up to me and started screaming at me that I was a Nazi. I mainly collect US items but I also collect helmets of the world. It might have been a case of mistaken identity since I share a hometown with Gerhard Lauck the Neo-Nazi. He walked by me one day after appearing in court for something and we were the same height, build, hair, glasses and he had a Hitler mustache with mine a full mustache. I gave my self a buzz cut that night.

whoa thats pretty crazy only time ive ever seen someone freak out like that was in a surplus that i practically live in... freaked out over the SS helmet they had and started throwing things, wwas pretty scary seeing as he was standing next to the pile of surplus machetes

That is definetly a spooky encounter, I'm just wondering how he knew what you looked like when you didn't know him.

-Dave

that is my big problem how does he know of me and that i collect

Very strange indeed....did the police attend? Was the guy spoken to or at least identified? Were you able to get a licence plate number so they can track him down?

Sounds like a guy with some mental health issues....I'd be concerned about how he knew that you collect and how did he find you...

Rick

Very strange indeed....did the police attend? Was the guy spoken to or at least identified? Were you able to get a licence plate number so they can track him down?

Sounds like a guy with some mental health issues....I'd be concerned about how he knew that you collect and how did he find you...

Rick

he left rather quickly but yeah got his plates got the car details down (1967 cherry red camaro which i loved) plus there was a store employee on the other side of the car and they had cameras there. but they got him idk whats going to happen to him but that might be something to look into...

doinworkinvans

I sure hope you got a plate number.

Its a shame what this world has come to.....

Best of luck to you, and keep your side piece handy

-Daniel

coolhandluke

Dang Jake...I spent a lot of time putting that helmet together and trying to track you down. You could have at least made me an offer instead of picking the helmet apart... ;)

All kidding aside, this is why I am hesitant to confront misinformed or dishonest sellers a majority of the time. If they are honestly ignorant of what they have and willing to listen, I will take the time to educate them. However, if they are informed and trying to find a sucker to peddle their items to at 3x the price...it's not worth my time. If they are misinformed and truly believe that their Euro clone helmet is worth $500...it's not worth my time. I typically give them a "thanks" and "good luck with the sale" and politely walk away. Plus, as you have learned, there are a lot of crazy, irrational people in this world. Just be glad that you didn't end up in the trunk of his car. :blink:

Dang Jake...I spent a lot of time putting that helmet together and trying to track you down. You could have at least made me an offer instead of picking the helmet apart... ;)

All kidding aside, this is why I am hesitant to confront misinformed or dishonest sellers a majority of the time. If they are honestly ignorant of what they have and willing to listen, I will take the time to educate them. However, if they are informed and trying to find a sucker to peddle their items to at 3x the price...it's not worth my time. If they are misinformed and truly believe that their Euro clone helmet is worth $500...it's not worth my time. I typically give them a "thanks" and "good luck with the sale" and politely walk away. Plus, as you have learned, there are a lot of crazy, irrational people in this world. Just be glad that you didn't end up in the trunk of his car. :blink:

i thought it was a joke, apparently it wasnt but if i had known that i would have thought through my answers better especially if i knew he was insane then when he started yelling i started to get the idea and was getting ready to get away quickly haha the employee was a bit confused though that the situation turned that fast but collectors beware the guy with the recently "battle damaged" 506th helmet and the cherry red camaro lol