Request of Info on 2LT Ernest Hindle AAC

Verdun16

Hi,

Years ago a friend gave me these photos and letter that he had found in a storage unit in Colorado Springs, CO. These pertain to 2LT Ernest C. Hindle 0-698287 Army Air Corps who went missing when his bomber was lost somewhere over the Mediterranean sea on 25 May 1944. I am trying to find out what more about his unit, the 779th Bomber Squadron of the 464th BG and if possible some info about his plane. All I know is that he graduated from Beaumont High School (I'm guessing Texas) in 1938, was living in St. Louis, MO and was working for the Independent Packing Company (St. Louis) in 1941. Was just able to find out that he was awarded the Air medal and the Purple Heart. Thanks for any assistance that you could provide,

Bryan

post-3235-1213270143.jpg

Letter sent by the US Army Adjutant General, MG Edward Witsell to LT. Hindle's parent in 1948 in reply to their request for more infomation concering their son

post-3235-1213270886.jpg

Looks like a B-24 outfit probably with 15th Air Force that late in the war. That plane used as a backdrop may or may not be the aircraft the crew was flying when they were lost. Having the unit number and date of loss may help you get a missing aircrew report. Some of these reasearch hounds we have on this forum can help out on this.

Hi Lee,

The loss date was 25 May 1944 but I have no clue for the unit number. Thanks,

Bryan

316th FS 324th FG

Ok, the 464th BG lost three B-24's on 25 May 44.

Here are the MACR numbers and tail numbers

5415 Plane 41-29412

5054 42-52463

5055 41-29382

316th FS 324th FG,

Many thanks for the info. Was able to track him down as the navigator on 42-52463. His plane, a B-24H nicknamed "Angel in De Skies" took off on 25 May 1944 from Gioia Air Base with the target being Givors, France. Lost with the entire crew of 10 plus 1 passenger as a result of enemy aircraft around 1335 hrs. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction,

Bryan

The second link was the one that I was using to pull up the MACR but the other link is also very interesting. Each site has a different name listed for this plane and I was wondering if it was a common practice for crews to change the nose art and nicknames. Sad to see that the plane and crew were never found. Thanks again,

Bryan