Bridge Champ in the South Pacific

Vincennes

I bought this on eBay a while back. It was cheap but the postage from California to Tulsa, OK was more than the cost of the item. This drawing or award was sent by Seabee Centurius Kerns Ralston C. M. 1/c of SBD 1008 from the Solomon Islands to his wife in Tulsa, OK late in 1944. It is hand drawn and colored. I bought the framed picture (the picture is 8.5x11") and the wooden box he sent it home in. The picture frame is mahogany(?) and has a glass cover. The wooden box is plywood and measures 11x13.5x1.5". It has 42 cents postage, a military cancel (Date and APO unreadable) and a "passed by Naval Censor" rubber stamp with his return address and the destination on it. It was probably hand made by the Seabee.

I found a web page which lists and pictures the members of the 1008th Seabee Detachment in the Soloman Islands at http://www.broughtonfamily.org/seabee/1008seabee.htm and found a picture of C. K. Ralston in Company C. Platoon No. 5.

From what I have gathered C. K. Ralston was born in OK in 1911 and died in Tulsa, OK in 1979. Apparently this picture and box went to California with relatives and probably showed up in an estate sale. So by buying it I brought it back home to Tulsa (where I live).

My question is: What bridge and where exactly was Seabees Detachment 1008 building in the Soloman Islands in October, 1944 that C.K. Ralston got this award for? How do I find out?

Paul

post-2319-1213213674.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

I wonder, since it is signed by the welfare and rec officer, if it doesnt mean champion bridge (as in the card game) player?

I wonder, since it is signed by the welfare and rec officer, if it doesnt mean champion bridge (as in the card game) player?

I guess that is possible, but since he is holding up a section of a bridge between two hills I think it is a real bridge he got the award for helping to build.

S. J. Fey Jr. (the welfare and rec officer) is identified as "Chief Carpenter" on the web page I cited above.

Paul

craig_pickrall

It would have to be a pretty small bridge if just one man built it. You would think if he was part of a team that built a bridge it would mention the team name or number or the other members.