Speed Graphic Graflex 4X5 combat cameras

relichelmet

• 1 year later...

Found one of the 4x5 Combat Graflex's today at local estate buyout store. It's missing the name plate and the focusing glass is cracked but otherwise in nice condition. This has a small optical site mounted on the top to augment the wire site (which is said the be pretty effective).

01.jpg

03.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

You lucky dog you!!!! That is a thing of beauty. Tell me you are going to run some film through it...

Cheers,

Capa

I do have some sheet film holders around and it would be interesting to shoot something with a 4x5. I used to shoot a lot 120 black and white film back in the 70's and it was always interesting composing shots on a ground glass.

I bought up beat up 4x5 view camera recently and have been selling off the shutter and lens and was wondering what do to with the falling-apart wooden case: luckily it still has the ground glass so I'll have that cut done to fit the Combat 45 before I sell it. I love the old Speed Graphic/Graflex gear: I did appraisals for a large estate recently and there was a mint condition black and chrome Speed Graphic in its case with all of the original accessories. It was a beauty and actually much more in line with what the average WWII combat cameraman would carry than are these OD models. When we finally get out of our postage stamp sized house and I have some room, I may have to hold on to one of the Speed Graphics that come my way: they really are an iconic camera, not just for combat photography but press photography as well (I used to do newspaper photography, but with 35mm).

The Meatcan

Forum Support - if you ever do get the chance to use that Speed Graphics, make sure you post your photos! I think it would be a blast to try and use one of those classics. Is it difficult to operate? If one can manually operate a current 35mm SLR, would one be able to operate the SG?

Terry

Forum Support - if you ever do get the chance to use that Speed Graphics, make sure you post your photos! I think it would be a blast to try and use one of those classics. Is it difficult to operate? If one can manually operate a current 35mm SLR, would one be able to operate the SG?

Terry

These things don't have a lot of controls: the hardest part is in loading the film: check out this thread for the feedback when some guys asks about that: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/0049x2

You really do though have to admire the photographers who used these large format cameras on a day-to-day basis: even when they weren't in combat there was a lot of prep work getting the film ready and lugging a case full of film, film packs and flashbulbs. Again, these later WWII OD cameras were somewhat easier to handle because they did not have the sliding bellows mechanism and were more ruggedly built, and probably a little lighter.

Here's a couple of photos from "WAR PHOTOGRAPHERS and CORRESPONDENTS of the 1940s" at http://www.marchermann.com/warcos/index.html

soldiergraphic.jpg

spargraphic.jpg

Years ago I used a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 speed graphic, couldn't find a 4x5 anywhere at a reasonal price. I have used view cameras before, they are a fiddle to use but fun once you get the hang of it.

Now I have 2 "press cameras" a Speed Graphic and a Crown Graphic (both 4x5) and all the ancillary equipment. Have I used them yet? No, don't seem to have the time.

If you have the developing tank you can pretty much develop your on negatives. For printing I have an Epson scanner that will take 4x5's. Incredible detail as evident from war time pictures taken with press cameras.

• 1 month later...
A Thousand Dollars for one of these! I believe thats whats called wishful thinking. These are cool cameras, but I've seen them at cameras shows for quite a bit less. A couple of years ago, I bought a US Army OD Green WW2 Speed Graphic press camera in it's original carrying case with accessories out of an estate. I wanted to take pictures with it, but then found out what it would cost to have the film processed and printed. I finally sold the camera for about $300. after carrying it around a while. Excellent condition civilian models can usually be had for about $150. to $500.

The Speed Graphic and the Combat 45 are really quite different when it comes to scarcity and value and the Combat 45's just do not come up for sale very often, whereas WWII era Speed Graphics are somewhat common. The OD Green Speed Graphics actually came out too late to be used in WWII, whereas the OD Green Combat 45's did have some use in the war and again, it doesn't seem like to many of them are still around. Because of its wood body and lack of bling I'm sure a lot of these ere looked upon as junk and either tossed out or given to kids to play with.