Armed but alone, Marine Pfc. Guy Gabaldon

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Film details Hispanic Marine's acts in WWII The Associated Press

Monday, May 5th 2008, 9:52 AM

AP MIAMI —

Armed but alone, Marine Pfc. Guy Gabaldon roamed Saipan's caves and pillboxes, persuading enemy soldiers and civilians to surrender during the hellish World War II battle on the island.

Using the Japanese language skills he learned as a boy, he warned the Japanese they would die if they stayed hidden and told them Marines were not torturers as they had heard.

The Marines, he said, would feed them and give them medical care. Many agreed, and Gabaldon, just 18, led them back to U.S. lines.

By the battle's end, Gabaldon had coaxed more than 1,000 Japanese out of the steamy caves.

He was praised as being brave and compassionate, and he received a Silver Star — later upgraded to a Navy Cross.

Rest of the story here: http://www.nydailynews.com/latino/2008/05/...ts_in_ww-2.html

teufelhunde.ret

SO, the question is: does he deserve to have the Navy Cross (which started as a Silver Star) upgraded to a Medal of Honor?

IMPERIAL QUEST

Unfortunately, I detect the cancer known as political correctness in all of this thumbdown.gif . Without "going there" I say let history stand as is. I really don't like these "movements" after someone dies to elevate them to an even higher pinnacle after their passing. The guy was damned brave, he received the Navy Cross and that is in the books. Anyway, if his NC was upgraded to a MOH, who would benefit? Not him, as he will never know - I say leave things as they are.