Do-it-yourself A2

Sabrejet

Although I've been a GI collector for 30 years now, I've never been in a position to add an original A2 to my collection. Either they weren't readily available over here in the UK, or I lacked the necessary funds...usually the latter! So, as an alternative, and to amuse myself, I decided to create my own using one of my older and nicely worn Eastman jackets as the basis. The jacket represents one typically worn by members of the 512th FS, a P-47 fighter-bomber squadron of the 9th AF.

I hand-painted and sewed the leather patch on myself. My preferred medium is oil-based hobby enamels. The jacket-art is of my own design, and again was hand-painted using oil-based enamels. When the paint had cured I used a favoured technique to age it. Other added details include a vintage "Acme Thunderer" dinghy whistle, a brass bomb-tag used as a zipper puller, and an original 9th AF SSI.

post-8022-0-99359300-1400580298.jpg

post-8022-0-59007200-1400580300.jpg

post-8022-0-96952500-1400580301.jpg

post-8022-0-64501200-1400580303.jpg

post-8022-0-15415200-1400580305.jpg

...and finally. At $800+ per jacket, I wouldn't recommend you try this unless you know exactly what you're doing! ;)

post-8022-0-81403500-1400580618.jpg

skypilot6670

Sabrejet Beautiful job. I'am putting together an A2 with copies of my fathers stuff.Johnny Signor is making copies of his unit patches and name plate.my Dad was an ordinance man in the 8th and 9th squadron 49th fighter group 5thAAF. Normally I don't think an ordinance guy would have an A2 all done up,but he had the patches and tags and I thought it would be a nice tribute to his service.Iam concerned about sewing. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks Mike.

Sabrejet Beautiful job. I'am putting together an A2 with copies of my fathers stuff.Johnny Signor is making copies of his unit patches and name plate.my Dad was an ordinance man in the 8th and 9th squadron 49th fighter group 5thAAF. Normally I don't think an ordinance guy would have an A2 all done up,but he had the patches and tags and I thought it would be a nice tribute to his service.Iam concerned about sewing. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks Mike.

Thanks for your kind comments...sounds like a great project. Re the sewing, as I said, I hand-stitched mine of necessity. In the past, I used to take my stuff to a leather-craft place which had the proper sewing-machines etc., but alas they closed down so I had no choice but to do it myself. You might want to check out the businesses in your area to see if there's such a leather-craft business who could do it for you?

Sewing through two layers of leather is not easy! It's tough on the fingers so you'll need a thimble and a proper leathercraft needle...somewhat tougher than a regular needle! I positioned my tab and patch using masking tape then carefully punched the guide-holes with a sharp bradawl. This made the whole process slightly easier and gives the impression of machine stitching. You'll also need to use a heavy duty twine. Good luck! ;)

Corpsmancollector

This is more than impressive Ian...Fantastic job! And on an Eastman too, that was a gutsy move! ;)

Great job, as good as an original.

Hope all is well my friend,

Will

This is more than impressive Ian...Fantastic job! And on an Eastman too, that was a gutsy move! ;)

Great job, as good as an original.

Hope all is well my friend,

Will

Hello Will...thank you! All is well here...trust it's likewise with you? Normandy 2014 is looming, closely followed by Tankfest....and then War&Peace, so it's all systems go! ;)

Johnny Signor

hey Mike, you may want to try either a saddle repair shop or shoe repair shop for getting the patches sewn onto your jacket ......

Johnny

You did a GREAT job! I really like the patch.

Russell

Thank you very much Russell. I just checked out yours too...great stuff!

Ian

General Apathy

Hey Ian, are you going to be. ' flying into Normandy ' in a weeks time for the 70th anniversary wearing this jacket

Ken

Hey Ian, are you going to be. ' flying into Normandy ' in a weeks time for the 70th anniversary wearing this jacket

Ken

You never know Ken...I might just wear or bring it! ;)