Gerber Mark 2 clone. Japanese?

popcorn

Hi. Picked this up at a local surplus shop yesterday. The guy there claims these were Japanese made in the early 70's to market to U.S. troops. It is unmarked. Any truth to this? I did a little research and all I found were Valor, Parker copies but they are marked, have serrations and the Parkers don't have the wasp style blade. I'm working on a VN display so either way it will work for display purposes and the price was what I consider reasonable. I was considering getting one of the new Gerbers but prefer the non serrated wasp style blade and this was much cheaper. The handle looks repainted and I think the blade is stainless. Blade is 6.75 inches long.

post-91916-0-91939700-1400416222.jpg

1SG_1st_Cav

That is a decent looking knife. I'm sure it would do what is was made for even though it isn't marked. I'm sure the recipient

of the business end of this knife would not be able to tell the difference! Danny

Pop,

I could be wrong, but FWIW, I don't think your Japanese copy of the Mk 2 is one of the knives that were sold at the PX's in the 1970's. I believe your copy was marketed in the 1980's.

Thanks for the responses. It is quite well made with the balance at the guard. If someone could point me out to a possible manufacturer I'd really appreciate it. 80's? that's pretty cool too. Just out of curiosity do you all think this would work better in a VN display rather than a modern Gerber?

Get a late VN era Gerber for the display case. They're not quite as expensive as the early ones and it will be correct. JMHO.