Opinions of this bullion 24th Infantry Division Grenediers SSI

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

So I am 1 for 1 today. Not sure which side of the spectrum this SSI will tip me. I picked up a bunch of patches from an old collection...though there were a lot of reproductions (most of them completely obvious) to fill in gaps that we all have. Not sure about this one since I typically stay away from bullion patches since they wouldn't last on my quilts. Nothing on it glows.

4845319_orig.jpg

9442844_orig.jpg

Thanks,

Steve

I'm far from an expert on bullion patches, but the oxidation of the letters looks pretty real to me. A lot of the fakes I have seen seem to be too evenly aged. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Chris

Any idea where the Grenadiers nickname came from? I can't find it in any 24th Infantry histories.

Chris

ocsfollowme

THE A-J 1992 ASMIC has this patch as the 21st Infantry Regiment of the 24th Infantry Division. Cannot read the last word on the online page, but it may say Korea.

That's odd because everything on have seen on the 21st Regiment refers to them, since the interwar years, as The Gimlets.

Chris

ocsfollowme

That's odd because everything on have seen on the 21st Regiment refers to them, since the interwar years, as The Gimlets.

Chris

Chris,

Exactly! Since it was in an ASMIC article I just accepted it as truth. I was stationed at Fort Wainwright and 3-21 INF was there as the Gimlets (old mining tool for boring through the rock). They were known as the Gimlets since at least the 1980s (my battalion commander), and I know by reading since the 1940s.

Maybe the ASMIC article was wrong on this one. I have no clue. It's on my list of summer data mining projects.

Steve

ocsfollowme

Chris

Chris,

Read towards the bottom of this thread from the forum. In the Korean War, I think the 21st Regiment was known as the Gimlet Grenadiers. I've always heard Gimlets used, but apparently both words were put together.

Trying to research it more.

Steve

• 7 years later...
ocsfollowme

Cleaning out several more drawers of random patches and found this one that I purchased on eBay as a BIN within the first few minutes 3-4 years ago for $10-15 (seller had no other militaria items...like a garage sale picker). 

Thoughts on this one? Not as nice as the first one...the back has a craye paper backing...feels different than the standard paki made types. Scratching my head on this one. 

img20210627_11194846.jpg

img20210627_11190564.jpg

Airborne-Hunter

The current hypothesis on this patch is Korean War for the 21st Inf Regt's provisional unit. In three years of researching these units I have yet to find a surviving vet, but it is almost assured this patch is for that unit. I have some questions as to when/where the patches were made, but the unit designation is basically assured. This patch comes with a rough cotton back (patch #1 shown), a blackish paper back (patch #2 shown) and a Japanese style thin silk back. Generally speaking, from the front they are identical, but the backs are not. There are also several fully embroidered machine made versions of this patch. Most, but perhaps not all of the fully embroidered, I believe, were made for collectors off an old ASMIC catalog. The question remains when and where these bullion ones were made. 

If anyone reading this should know of a surviving vet or any information for this or any other provision unit from the Korea War please contact me.

BILL THE PATCH
Here is another one, non bullion. 

Is this later Japanese made?
1368939894_ScreenShot2021-07-03at9_11_46AM.png.0e278d274baa4c6970c7b30d1296379e.png
1900456773_ScreenShot2021-07-03at9_11_38AM.png.ce7c3e9ea75ec798a866c9286d4117b1.png
Could it be phillipine made?

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk