Model 1840 cavalry saber

kilgarvan

Recently picked this up. German import. Looks to be marked R&C which I believe is for Rohrig and company. Scabbard seems to be American made. Nothing fancy but an honest example of a Civil War era cavalry saber as Rohrig was in business from 1848-1865.

imagejpg14_zpsb85ca51e.jpg

imagejpg15_zpsf9aa5248.jpg

imagejpg16_zpsd77b865b.jpg

imagejpg13_zps4830c089.jpg

Nice! I've seen this sword referred to as 'Old Wrist-Breaker'. Is it really that much heavier than the M1860 Light Cavalry Saber?

I'm not sure of an actual weight difference, but, it's noticeably longer than a 1860 light cavalry. Does anybody know weight and balance difference? I'd tend to think the balance is greater than a weight difference.

A very nice example of an imported US M1840 Cavalry Sabre. These were called the "Heavy Cavalry Sabre" In period nomenclature. The US M1860 was referred to as the "Light Cavalry Sabre" to distinguish them apart. The quick identifiers on the difference is that the Heavy normally has a wide flat backed blade while the Light has a lighter weight blade with a rounded back. The grips are also different in that the Heavy has a tapered grip (as shown on this example) made by wrapping the wood with cord, then covering it with leather and wire to make this distinctive grip. The Light Sabre has a grip with a swell in the middle and is a bit more ergonomic.

BTW, the Heavy Cavalry Sabre continued in service throughout the US Civil War and was made by both US and foreign makers.