Oversized JQMD 1944 canteen covers

dustin

These covers are discussed in this topic.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/109746-jqmd-1944-larger-than-normal-canteen-cover/?hl= large canteen cover

Nomenclature: Cover, Canteen, Special with Insert.

These covers were made for the Military Intelligence Service Section X (MIS-X)as an escape and evasion item. the false bottom allowed concealment of E materials. Overall appearance looks to be a standard canteen cover even when the canteen is removed. This does sound outrageous but I have found the document addressing this canteen cover. This does make sense as a canteen would be a basic item retained in a possible capture or dealing with natives if they happen to shake you down. The document I have is from the CBI MIS-X and does give a list of what could be held in the cover, 32 silver Rupees, 1 cloth map, 17 language blood chit, hacksaw blade and 3/4 inch compass. It goes on to say, as of November 1944, that 2,750 are available in theater and is possible they were used in other theaters as well.

Dustin,

AWWH... since its true, and I read it on the internet... now I'll have to find one to add to my escape items... it will never end... thank goodness I prefer the ETO.

Thanks again for the hard work, digging thru the files and stacks to find documentation and proof of why items are really the way they are... but then again I did read it on the internet..

Regards,

CC

Everything on the internet and TV is true.... We all know that!

However there is nothing stating a specific theater it just so happens this doc to be from the CBI. in this document it states they (MIS-X) India have a quantity "in this theater" which suggests they are in others as well. MIS-X operated in all theaters of combat so to assume it's just a CBI item may be a bit premature. So ETO collectors are not safe from this affliction