Unknown WW2/Korean War era 108th Infantry triangle patch with "Lindsay" stiched

ocsfollowme

ocsfollowme

Anyone have a clue to what this is for? WW2, Korean, Vietnam? ROTC, school related, etc....

6068368_orig.jpg

3254461_orig.jpg

Steve

Patchcollector

Interesting.Looks to be an "embellished" example.Possibly the persons' name?Not sure what it is,but I'll guess maybe a school or ROTC piece?I like it!

ocsfollowme

I think I am leaning "a school patch" now, though I think it is a WW2 era one. Not sure if it is ROTC related, but it could be tied to the 108th Infantry Division? In any event, if it turns out to be a bust, I am only out $20 on this one.

$20 for an evening of researching on the internet...still equals fun...same price as a movie and some popcorn/soda. Entertainment for insignia collectors =)

Still hoping if someone else has one like this, or similar, or wants to drop off their 2 cents.

I saw this one last night as well. I couldn't make up my mind about it.

My gut reaction is still Military School or ROTC, but if it is "real" military it would most likely be 108th Infantry Regiment and POST WWII National Guard service time.

-Vance

• 1 month later...
ocsfollowme

So another one has come up to auction. I am not going to be bidding, though if you part this lot out you could get it for free. It has someone's else name on it. "COOMBE" Maybe if you can cross reference this name with the other one we can find out what it belongs too.

Auction here

$_1.JPG?rt=nc

Hmm, I'll take a shot, perhaps it's related to the late 40s-early 50s 108th Infantry Tank Company, or when the 108th Inf was broken up in 1955, and elements were redesignated as the 108th Armored Infantry Battalion of the newly redesignated 27th Armored Division? It's a stretch I know, but that Yellow-ish color looks Orange, along with the Blue background, Orange and Blue are the colors of New York State, these units being of the NYNG.

firefighter

Hmm, I'll take a shot, perhaps it's related to the late 40s-early 50s 108th Infantry Tank Company, or when the 108th Inf was broken up in 1955, and elements were redesignated as the 108th Armored Infantry Battalion of the newly redesignated 27th Armored Division? It's a stretch I know, but that Yellow-ish color looks Orange, along with the Blue background, Orange and Blue are the colors of New York State, these units being of the NYNG.

Patches that sounds very feasible.The triangle could also represent the 27th Armored.

Patches that sounds very feasible.The triangle could also represent the 27th Armored.

There was a 1957 27th Armd Div yearbook on E-Bay, but it was sold, maybe that would of yielded some photo info.

• 5 weeks later...
ocsfollowme

This was from Freshfounds hoard that he purchased many months ago. Look at the bottom right patch...a "2AA" insignia that is similar to the patch in the thread. I cannot remember what this "2AA" represented.

post-1506-0-35569600-1390070056.jpg

• 2 months later...

It looks like it may be an older California Cadet Corps Unit Patch - They tend to be made with the Battalion Number as part of the patch. In checking there is a Lindsay HS in Lindsay, CA, but I couldn't find out if it currently participates in the CCC program. The patch is similar to several CCC patches that I have. Hope this helps.

At ASMIC San Diego last weekend, I ran into someone that had another one. All have 108 on it, but have a different name on the bottom. Best bet would be to get 5-8 names/patches and cross reference to several databases I guess.

It's a name tape/patch for a soldier named Lindsay in the 108th AIB. I have two different cloth insignia for a soldier in the 208th Tank Bn (all the names, Lindsay and mine, are chain stitched).

Looks like it may have been a practice in the 27th Armored Division for every unit to have cloth insignia, almost as popular as PA units.

Further, beginning in the Korean War, it became popular for units to have nametapes which also carried unit designation or branch colors - if you knew the unit, you'd know the element of the unit. This practice lasted until ca. 1960 or so.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
firefighter

Here is the 108th that was on eBay. The stitching, on the name, looks the same as the one that started this thread.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

• 8 months later...

Gentlemen I believe I have figured out these patches. I served in Geneva, NY which used to be Bravo Company 1-108 IN, Lindsay stuck in my brain when I saw this post. 1SG Edward Lindsay was the L Company, 108th IN 1SG in 1948 located in Geneva, NY, in 1955 the 108th was selected to become Armored Infantry. L Company was originally supposed to be mustered as Company C 108th Armored IN, but the company was changed upon request to Company B for historic reasons. 1SG Edward Lindsay was still the 1SG when the company transitioned to Armored Infantry. I suspect this is a Company patch probably not worn on the uniform. I am still looking into Coombe, but will update if I find anything.

Just so I am tracking with this, The patch in #15 is the very same patch in #17 correct?

Yes, #15 was an image OCS posted from eBay and #17 is the same patch that I won from that auction.

Gentlemen I believe I have figured out these patches. I served in Geneva, NY which used to be Bravo Company 1-108 IN, Lindsay stuck in my brain when I saw this post. 1SG Edward Lindsay was the L Company, 108th IN 1SG in 1948 located in Geneva, NY, in 1955 the 108th was selected to become Armored Infantry. L Company was originally supposed to be mustered as Company C 108th Armored IN, but the company was changed upon request to Company B for historic reasons. 1SG Edward Lindsay was still the 1SG when the company transitioned to Armored Infantry. I suspect this is a Company patch probably not worn on the uniform. I am still looking into Coombe, but will update if I find anything.

Welcome to the forum CSM108IN, And a Great update, I would though suppose these were worn on the fatique shirt above either the NAME or U.S. ARMY tapes back then, it was quite the fashion Army wide, especially with Armor Triangles.

This source from member seanmc1114 quotes.

1957 27th Armored Division Yearbook: All of the soldiers are wearing the 27th SSI with "Empire" tab on their left sleeves of their fatigue shirts.

So since the unit wore the division patch on the shoulder rather on the crest above the U.S. ARMY tape, then perhpes this patch for the 108th Armd Inf Bn wore this above the U.S. ARMY tape.

Quote about the 1957 27th Armd Dv comes from this topic, here it shows the fashion within Tank Bn's, Armor and Recon Bn's and or Trps from WWII-1970s.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18511-armored-patches-worn-on-chest/

CSM108IN r=thank you for the information.I have a 27th Armored yearbook from the 1950s, somewhere. My dad was with the 27 SIG CO/27th Armored Div in the late 50s-early 60s.

• 2 weeks later...

CSM---I served in Charlie Company 1/108th IN when it was in Rome NY -- I was there from mid 77 to mid 82...were you there when we were activated for the Prison Guard Strike?

regards, Al

Quick update- first order of business... Al, you were a little bit before my time...I was active duty 85-89 and then I went into the guard. I was in 2-174 IN, 1-108 IN and 2-108 IN where as the BN CSM deployed to Afghanistan, still serving as OPS SGM for the 42nd Div.

I have the 1958 27th Armored Division Yearbook. Under B company 1-108 (Geneva) where I found 1SG Lindsay, I also found a R.F. Coombe in the same company (refer to other patch above). Would like to know if there is any other patches like these around and what the names are so I can cross reference them to the yearbook.