Can anyone ID this 6 Engine USAF Cargo Desk Model?

Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria

I am pretty sure this is a Douglas CX-4 / D906 and was part of the CX-HLS program that eventually the C-5 came out of. Wing span is about 11". Is fitted for it's own travel case and was probably made in the Douglas model shop.

Can anyone positively ID it?

post-2578-0-55792300-1395496718.jpg

post-2578-0-26919100-1395496732.jpg

littlebuddy

By what I can reference off the internet I think you are correct , I can find no other pics of the aircraft :blink:

LB

That's pretty cool! With a travel case like that, and that well built, looks to for sure have been a display model for someone important, and designed for transit, versus the usual desk models one can buy for their office.

Nice!

• 4 weeks later...
Austin_Militaria

I finally ID'd it with the help of some people in another forum. It took a while. It is a Lockheed GL-194-12 concept model.

post-2578-0-10803300-1397516754.jpg

• 9 years later...
Vahe Demirjian

The Lockheed GL-194-12 was quite different from the C-5 Galaxy that won the CX-HLS competition in having the tail empennage of the Boeing and Douglas submissions for the CX-HLS requirement. The CX-4 requirement for which the GL-194-12 was conceived ended up being shelved in November 1963 and replaced by the CX-HLC (Cargo Experimental - Heavy Logistics Carrier) program, which was renamed Global Transport (GT) and finally became the CX-HLS in January 1964. By this time the GL-194-12 study had given way to the T-tailed strategic airlifter proposal that evolved into the L-500 bid for the CX-HLS competition.

Link:

CX-HLS (Cargo Experimental, Heavy Logistic Support) designs & derivatives (Secret Projects Forum)

CX-HLS (Cargo Experimental, Heavy Logistic Support) designs & derivatives (Secret Projects Forum)