M-43 listed as "looks to be XL size"

Laztlain

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing an original M-43 jacket for myself. I am a pretty big guy (6'1", 275 lbs) with around a 48-50" chest.

I saw this jacket for sale:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-M-43-Jacket-/261405590906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cdcfcc57a

The seller lists it as "looks to be an XL size"..... well that doesnt tell me too much!

What would be the easiest thing for me to ask him to measure in order to determine the jacket's real size? (Hoping it turns out be a nice 44R!!)

Thank you.

M43 Jackets were deliberately cut big in order to fit over the winter layers, as prescribed. So, for example, one marked 36" would probably be good for a 38"+, if worn over a shirt. I usually wear a 44R in jackets but have a size 40" M43 which fits fine worn over a shirt / sweatshirt.

IF you're going to wear it, can I recommend a reproduction. Both WWII Impressions and At the Front offer really great copies of the M-43 without having to be concerned about wearing out an original. They can also be ordered in any size.

Tom Bowers

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I ordered a repro yesterday because it was on sale. I still would like an original to wear, but I know it might be tough to find one that fits comfortably.

Armpit to Armpit with the jacket closed will give you a good idea of the chest size. In your case, you would probably be looking for this measurement to be 22" (half of 44). If you have another jacket that fits you nicely, you will probably want to take some measurements off of that and get more info about this jacket. Chest size gets you in the ballpark, but the more information the better.

Wich size are you looking to buy? Or how tall and heavy are you? That ebay jacket looks like a 34 or 36 size.......I allways try to look on the hanger,if it sits tigth on it like this case it must be a todays smal size.Biger sizes the shoulders hang down the hanger.

I actually ended up buying this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-Industries-Field-Jacket-Olive/dp/B00HX9R9NC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1393421100&sr=8-3&keywords=alpha+industries+m-43

I bought the last one for $69 on Saturday, now it's over $150. A triple XL and it barely fits. Love that jacket, but man I might have to see a plastic surgeon to have my arms shortened!!

The problem with those chinese items is they dont do Long sizes.The one I posted is an real XXL and long with history ;)

All my jackets are 42 or 44L......

I have a 43 to a Colonel(LA HANCOCK) who served in the 34th Division.He was a Span Am era and WW1 vet as well.Jacket nust be a size 50 or so.He was a older man by WW2.Have his tankers jacket as well.He placed leather pads on the elbows of the tankers jacket.

Picked up two size 42s a while back.Dated august or september of 45.The jackets are both unissued.Still full of the cutters tags.They are gorgeous looking jackets but the purists dont like them as they are dated after wars end(I love them) :love:

@doyler - please leave your door unlocked and let me know when you wont be home..... oh, I'll need your address too.

no reason. :dry:

:lol:

You may have to fight the cat for it......I may just have it hanging outside for you.

I may post a picture of the Cols coat soon.Its plain but a biggy.I saw a 46 once on a webb site but the dealer

wasnt the best at shipping once you paid for an item.

What?!? I have never seen that before! If that is yours, I know it doesnt fit you and you want to sell it. You want to sell it cheaply... to me. Those arent the droids you're looking for....