Regulation Bugle Question

cerick1450

Hi

I recently came across a OD green painted brass Bugle marked.

Buglecraft Inc

Brooklyn NY

US

Sorry I was not able to get a photo, but does anyone know what vintage this would be?

Thanks

Charlie

• 6 months later...
horsecavalry

Plastic bugles were produced during WWII in order to conserve brass. Not sure exactly when they went into production.

I do a trumpeter/bugler impression for a range of US eras, including WWII, but I use metal trumpets/bugles. I have always wondered about the sound quality of one of these.

hbtcoveralls

I have a plastic WWII Bugle and if you're ever this way I'd love to hear it too.

Tom Bowers

• 3 months later...

You'd be surprised with the sound plastic instruments can make, I worked at a music store for a number of years (and am a trumpet player myself) and we reveiced some plastic trombones in, really not that terrible. You wouldn't play in the symphony with one but perfect for martching or pep band perhaps.

Buglecraft, Rexcraft couple others essentially the same company you can still purchase "US regulation" brass bugles today.

http://www.usregulationbugle.com/

I have my grandmother's old Rexcraft from when she did Drum and Bugle in HS in the 1930/40s.

This might be of some interest to you as well: http://www.middlehornleader.com/Evolution%20of%20the%20Bugle%20--%20Manufacturers%20Listing.htm

I don't recall ever hearing about the brass ones being painted OD during the war.