Photos of D-Day June 6, 1944 Normandy DSC, Navy Cross, and MOH Recipients

Tex82ndABD

Captain (Fr.) Joseph Lacy.He's the one without the dress shirt.I dated a girl who was his great grand niece.Father Lacy is also in the Ranger Hall of Fame.There is a nice picture of him in the 5th Ranger unit history, Rangers Lead the Way.

raaen&lacy.jpg

Hi Firefighter,

First, thanks for your service to the City of New York. Your brothers who died on 9/11 are not forgotten. Thanks also for the photo. Naturally, I would prefer a photo of a recipient in something other than his undershirt. :D Is the author of the 5th Ranger history, Henry Glassman?

Respectfully,

Phil

Hi Firefighter,

First, thanks for your service to the City of New York. Your brothers who died on 9/11 are not forgotten. Thanks also for the photo. Naturally, I would prefer a photo of a recipient in something other than his undershirt. :D Is the author of the 5th Ranger history, Henry Glassman?

Respectfully,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Henry Glassman is the author.I am actually a retired LT/FF just outside of Syracuse.But I do remember the 343 that did give their lives on 9/11.

Hi Lieutenant,

Thanks for confirming Glassman as the author. The things that happened that day could have happened anywhere and you firefighters always run toward the danger instead of away from it.

Respectfully,

Phil

• 6 months later...
Rachelmarie1826

Hi Phil,

I'm not writing a book but like you but I'm on a search for answers. I have a great uncle (my paternal grandmother's brother) who died on Omaha beach. His name has appeared on your list which, with a google search I came across you forum. I don't know how far in you publishing process you are but if you are still looking for pictures I will be happy to send it to you. He earned both a Distinguished Service Cross, a silver star and I'm assuming a purple heart since he died of wounds shortly after the initial invasion. His name was William R Benn Jr and he was wtih Company A, 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division. If you stumble across any information (or pictures) about him I would appreciate if you would pass it along. I am currently trying to figure out the process to request his service record from the national archives so my information on his is limited. My grandmother, his sister, was very young when he died so I'm trying to dig up any information on him for both her and myself. Thank you and good luck with your book! I look foward to buying a copy!

• 1 year later...
16th Infantry H co

Private Peter Cavaliere, Company H, 16th Infantry Regiment, 1st Infantry Division

Hello I respectfully ask if you are going to post my photos from my Private Copyrighted Collection to please at least link my website. www.thefightigfirst.com and also www.16thinfantry.com

Hi Jordan,

Please accept my apology. I would have done so had I known of your desire to link the photo to your websites at the time I posted the photo. The links are as follows www.thefightingfirst.com and www.16thinfantry.com. Both websites are outstanding. Your updates to the H Company website is amazing. Once again, please accept my apology.

Respectfully,

Phil

Phil,

I recommend you check out Sgt. William Wein who received a DSC for extraordinary heroism in action on June 6, 1944. You will find him in HQ XVIII Corps (Airborne) General Orders No. 16 dated November 18, 1944.

Hi Foxfall,

Thanks for the message. Sergeant Weir's DSC citation and photograph are included in my book, American Heroes of World War II - Normandy June 6, 1944, which was published last June 6th. Because Sergeant Weir's action took place over several days, I will be including the eyewitness account of his heroism in my future book about all of the DSC, Navy Cross, and Medal of Honor recipients for the rest of the Normandy campaign. Together, the two books will cover all of these awards for the entire campaign.

Thanks,

Phil

• 1 month later...

Hello Phil

I don't know if you are still working on this, but if so - I have paperwork for about 20 of these men.

If you PM me I will send you the original papers.

• 2 years later...
militarymeister

Hello,

Did your book get published? A good friend of mine is the son of Grant Gibbs Andreasen, LT., USNR, whose name you have listed under award of the Navy Cross. Please let me know if you need further information.

Kind regards for your good historical work!

I was a Lieutenant-colonel in the U.S. Army when I retired. Serving the Pentagon (Puzzle palace as affectionately known) at the time.

Lou Miles

• 2 months later...