We Flew The Mig

m1ashooter

It's a remarkably compact little plane on the ground compared with the F-86, but those cannons certainly outgunned it! Looks odd seeing it with "stars 'n' bars" on the side!

Ian I thought you would be interested, that why I posted it. I really was impressed seeing General Yeager as a young fighter jock and the review of the Mig. What is also kinda of funny to me is how they listed the goods and bads of the Mig verses the F86. What stuck me in the lists was the Mig was a better aircraft in many ways, but that being said the USAF fighter jocks just were better in the air. Many times its the man or women in the fight that makes the difference.

Another thing that made me laugh was the comment that we would give it back if asked. Its exacty the same type of comment made in 1976 when the Russian pilot flew his Mig 25 to Japan. We gave it back in 30 shipping box's.

I thought the airman in the shorts was quite dapper and would have loved to wear that uniform. I've always been a General Yeager fan. My only interaction with him was in the late 80's. He was retired then and was in a National Guard F4 coming into Shreveport to present something at the Independence Bowl. My general officer was to meet him on the ramp and we were in high alert for his arrival. A huge thunderstorm hit the field. Base Ops calls me and says the field is closed because the vis was zero and the ceiling was zero. I relay that to my general. The next thing I know is is I'm getting a call from base ops that General Yeager is on the deck. He brought his F4 right in. He is a hell of a stick.

Great anecdote! I noticed the shorts combo too...very "British-looking" actually! Yes, as you rightly say the MiG had superior performance to the F86 in several respects, but American pilots were the trump card...superior training and tactics plus that American "gung-ho" spirit! Add to that the experience of the WW2 fighter jocks like old' Gabby and you had a winning team. I can't recall the actual kill ratio but it was very heavily in your favour!