Took a gamble on an M3 tonight

damcon3

Almost looks to good to be true. But the seller takes returns. I spoke with the seller first, he is calling it an Aerial because it looks like an Aerial he saw. the scabbard looks amazing has none of the tell tale signs of a repro. A little uncomfortable about the knife, but if it's right I think I did pretty good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271215342227?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The big concern I have, is I see no markings. I looked at the blade w/a magnifying glass, and couldn't see the guard (should be ACC). It is double pinned. I can't tell. Let us know when you get it how it's marked. SKIP

Bill in VA

IIRC, weren't Camillus the only double pinned? (I seem to recall that but am too lazy to run downstairs to the war room and dig up Coniglio's book.)

The big concern I have, is I see no markings. I looked at the blade w/a magnifying glass, and couldn't see the guard (should be ACC). It is double pinned. I can't tell. Let us know when you get it how it's marked. SKIP

SKIP,

Speaking of markings, what do you make of the flaming bomb on the pommel? I have never seen such a cleanly struck stamping where you can even see the "neck" between the flames and the body of the bomb.

Here is a picture of the flaming bomb on the pommel of my Camillus M3 -

Flamingbombmark.jpg

Tim

Tim- Just pulled out my guard marked ACC. It's got a good solid stamp like the one pictured in the ad. The pommel is also correct for an Aerial. Checked Coniglio, and my Aerials, blade( Ord stamp not visible), and guard marked. We'll see what damcon3 gets. So far I can see an Aerial. Pommels for both Camillus, and Aerial are very similar, maybe same sub-contractor made them. SKIP

Seller emailed to say he did not see anything on the guard. I will have to look very closely to see if something is under the parkerizing.

Bill in VA

It could just be the angle of the photograph, but I'm a little troubled over the second pin through the pommel appearing to be offset; that is, it looks like one pin is centered through the tang and the other is added as an afterthought.)

pommeloffset.jpgT2eC16hHJHIE9nysfptKBRp69jDYQ60_57.jpg

Thought the angle of the pins off, but concluded it was just due to picture angle. Did notice the pins were bright, my Aerial pins are parkerized. But, that's not conclusive to anything. SKIP

Yea, PAL, Camillus, & Aerial show up as double pinned in Coniglio's book.

Agree

Camillus is the more common but the double pins were used on the others as stated

SKIP,

Speaking of markings, what do you make of the flaming bomb on the pommel? I have never seen such a cleanly struck stamping where you can even see the "neck" between the flames and the body of the bomb.

Here is a picture of the flaming bomb on the pommel of my Camillus M3 -

Flamingbombmark.jpg

Tim

Markings look fine to me.Dont see very detailed ones on the repros Ive seen

I've got a repro guard marked Camillus with a very nice Ord stamp on the pommel (didn't check the repro blade marked). Different in that the flame is almost as wide as the bomb, but very crisp and clear. Can't say about any other repros though. SKIP

Knife came in Today!! The knife is a mint Camillus guard marked, the scabbard is even better than the pictures show!

We should take some closer looks at the M6 and the knife, hint,hint. A genuine M6 in that condition alone would be worth the money you spent.

Here are some numbers and dates from a Camillus data sheet:

U.S. Army Rochester Ordnance District

Govt N0. M3

Our NO. 5682 L75

Drawing # 20-2B-52 dated 12/30/42. revised drawing with minor radius changes 11/12/43.

Contracts; 35,900; 113,000; 117,000; 137,009; total 402,909.

With scabbards furnished by the Government, M6, (changed to M8 plastic Dec. 43).

Changed to M4 5/19/44.

Sorry no details spelled out on when changes were made like, blade dated to blade marked or guard marked varieties.

I have a mint guard marked Camillus hat came in a mint Milsco M6. Got it in 1988 from the guy who open the box. I also have a guard marked Case in a mint Viner Bros, and a mity guard marked Blued PAL in a mint Barwood. All from the same box opening guy. They exist. SKIP

Sorry for the spelling errors just got home from a very long midnight shift. A little punchy. SKIP

• 1 month later...