Not what i "expected" when picker described it --- (Messenger)

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

From my research online from EW Stones site. This has the look of a Messenger Knuckle Knife.

Dated and Named by craftsman !!!

post-633-0-27444700-1368317795.jpg

post-633-0-25907900-1368317804.jpg

WHOA! Outstanding fighter!! Can you share as to how you came by this incredible piece? It stokes the hopes of anyone of us who loves this type of knife.

Great find!

ww2relichunter

That is a great woodwork knife and the crafts man ship is perfect nice piece mate :rolleyes:

Got da Penny

Thanks for the response guys. I was told by my picker buddy that he personally bought it from a Veteran who was getting rid of

many items. He also sold most of the grouping you see with the Armor Patches / DI's GCM and ribbon bars etc. listed under latest aquisitions.

there is a dog tag, but, need time to research it. This is all I know about the knife.

The way my buddy told me, it was named on the blade or "leather cover". Been a really good friend and he has Greatly enhanced my collection

over the years.

CS

Is the blade from a saber, or a bayonet?

Beleve these were done from sections of the Patton sword.This one looks like the tip section of a Patton sword.

Hi, Great find. Beautiful knife. Looks like a Swedish Mauser bayonet blade.

Marv

I thought I'd quote myself. Here's why I thought it might be a Swedish Mauser bayonet blade.

T2eC16dHJHoE9n3KgJBnBRhH2nZDw60_57_zpsc1

Got da Penny

Thanks for the added compliments, as you can tell, I am pleased beyond expectations.

After further research, I tend to agree with Misfit 45. This blade does look like the Swedish mauser ....

Compare it to the tip of the Patton Saber, which "Tapers" to a point and grove stops waaay before tip.

Where as the Swedish blade is "straight" on the edge sides to the point.

post-633-0-17275400-1368364545.jpg

The blade isnt from a Patton sword; you could retip a Patton sword blade, but the fuller for that section of a Patton blade would be wider.

It is a very nice knife. There are several Porter's in Jackson. With a little work you may be able to find out if Porter was a buddy of Messenger. As you probably know, Messenger and several of his friends worked together to build knives for the war. Even the scabbard appears to have the expected design of a Jackson MI, knife. Great find. I'm always interested in Michigan made knives.

These have always been one of my favorite knuckle knives. Great quality workmanship, esp with the handles.

First Messenger I have ever seen dated.

Cole IV, pg 164, shows the Patton blade model. Apparently, they used several different sources for the blades. The two i have (both kris) are made from files (I think), and not scrounged off an existing blade.

Attached pics of my latest one.

Cliff

post-8804-0-62001800-1368804536.jpg

post-8804-0-96444100-1368804546.jpg

• 10 years later...
Knucklehead

Picked up my 2nd messenger yesterday.  Mean looking one with steel spikes on the knuckles20240127_120246.jpg.8e0ea2bc34ae3e51b0a18025b60877d4.jpg