m1 Carbine Nightvision Sniper Scope with Battery Pack?

nbolinger

Just picked this up , was told its for a m1 carbine, its dated 1951 looks like its in very nice condition, said he didnt have the box. Can anybody tell me what this is? Is it a M3 Scope? I saw that on a past thred?

post-9905-0-20131500-1367359380.jpg

hawkdriver

I was out flying and between flights last night when your post came up, so I didn't have much time to respond.
Your scope is for a T3 Carbine. From what I can tell, you have most of the major components. The big light on top produces a large amount of IR light as these tubes were very bad for light amplification, so the light was needed. I do not see the mounting bar which is the hard part to find on these scopes. I also didn't see the T3 upper hand guard. To make a M1 ready, you have to take the rear sight off and then it becomes dedicated to this scope, which is why most people don't display them on rifles.
The front of the mount clamps on the barrel and thus the upper hand guard with the hole is necessary. It looks as if your forward grip is in good condition and the scope body seems to be good as well. What I can't tell from the pictures is the phenalic coating condition on the wire from the scope to the battery. These typically dry out and fall apart which then causes exposure of the underlying wire and with 20,000 volts, they can throw some serious sparks and once bitten by 20,000 volts, most people shy away.
You have the battery and converter. The battery is a lead acid battery and had a bad habit of leaking sulfuric acid which is a real buzz kill in combat. One thing to get shot by the enemy, another to have your back scorched off with sulfuric acid from your scope. What you seem to be missing is the heavily rubber coated canvas bag that carried the converter and battery. The converter takes the six volts and pumps it up to 20,000 volts to run the intensifier and of the ones that I have seen in working order tend to do a lot of sparking and crackling, which I don't know why.
The intensifiers in these were crude and very few have made it through the years in tact. If you can get a replacement battery, mount bar, top guard, and get everything working, you have a high likelyhood that the intensifier won't work. This is the main reason these tend to stay in the novelty realm.

You also don't have the transport box nor the manual in the picture, but you do have most of the nice displayable pieces. Must say, little envious, I am wickedly coveting your scope ;)