Post WWII Engraved USMC Good Conduct Medal Question

AirMechanic

AirMechanic

I have a 1949 dated USMC Good Conduct Medal with two subsequent award bars on the medal ribbon. The pinback style award bars are hand engraved "second award" and "third award". I thought USMC gcm's subsequent bars said "2nd enlistment, 3rd enlistment, etc). Were USMC gcm's issued the "award" style of subsequent issue bars or were those USN bars that somehow ended up on the ribbon? When did they stop issuing award bars for USMC and USN good conduct medals?

Hello,

Could you show us a photo of the medal and it's bars. The 1940's vintage USMC Good Conduct medals that I have with bars all have pin back bars that are all hand engraved "second award", "third award", etc. I have always thought that the slip-on bars with "2nd AWARD", "3rd AWARD", etc. were Navy bars.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

• 1 year later...

Hi,

at some point, what I have noticed is that the Marine Corps stopped issuing the "ENLISTMENT" type bars and started issuing the "AWARD" bars. Maybe just prior to WWII.

The Marine corps "AWARD" bars are pin back and engraved on the obverse. The reverse is blank.

The Navy "AWARD" bars are the slip on type and have raised lettering.

Awarding of enlistment bars ended in 1953.

http://www.foxfall.com/gcrm-usmc.htm