876, 877 or 878th airborne aviation engineer Bn tabs

jgawne

Here are three tabs (and the only patch) from a doctor that was in one of the three airborne aviation engineer bns in the ETO. I figured as I was asking if anyone has a unit history from any of them to see if Philip Kramer is listed as the Doctor, I should post this scan as the three tabs came from his estate sale, along with some other stuff, and I am quite sure they had been stripped from the uniforms I acquired there as well.

What's interesting s that the three appear to be different. The one sewn onto the SSI, is certainly different from the other two. If you look at the top two there are some similarities in regards to the placement of the "I", however then if you look at the overall length they seem different, and they are different from the back. So I don't think this can be the result of washing and shrinking but maybe so.

In any event I thought it was interesting that one man may have been issued three different versions of the same tab.

And again, if anyone has a unit history or roster form any of the above units kindly check it for Doc Kramer for me, will ya? Thanks.

post-1657-0-64987200-1366572882.jpg

post-1657-0-19486400-1366573395.jpg

• 2 years later...

Did you find any info on your Airborne Engineer Officer, any rosters exist? I have acquired an Ike Jacket from estate a T/5 Otis Jackson, 34588920..9th AAF Eng. Cmd. ? Airborne Aviation Bn. The jacket has two holes on the label, one on each side for screw back DI's. I am trying to figure out which of the three, 878,877, 876 units he was in? I hate paying $75 for some one to look up his DD-214. Which probably went up in the famous flames. Did you find any info?

Recondo80

I do not think that they are three different versions of the same tab. Some are worn and stretched more than others. An ASMIC article about a year ago had I think 11x District of Washington DC patches on it (non cut out from factory) and all of the reverses were different ie more white thread, none, a little etc.