Pick up @ Louisville

siclfde

Picked this one up at the Louisville show a few weeks ago and thought it was very interesting. You USMC knife aficionados should find it intriguing. A very well respected knife authority told me this week at Baltimore that it was a Messenger blade.

Any thoughts.

post-8804-0-18865800-1363654715.jpg

post-8804-0-51921400-1363654744.jpg

I was there and saw that one. Nice example but I had my eye on something else at the time. Still paying on it. Great grab though.

Hello, great knife. However, I would like to hear what the forum collecters think about the manufacturer. I am from Michigan and one of my best collector friends is from Jackson, so when I hear Messenger Knife I get excited. While this is a great kris knife, this knife does not demonstrate typical characteristics of a Messenger in the handle, blade, or scabbard. I am by no means an authority but have studied them for awhile and therefore would like to hear what others have to say. I realize they were one of a kind knives made by Messenger and his friends, but for the most part they share a distinct look and that is why I am asking the question.

I know.. there is one in every crowd...

regards,

CC

Hello, great knife. However, I would like to hear what the forum collecters think about the manufacturer. I am from Michigan and one of my best collector friends is from Jackson, so when I hear Messenger Knife I get excited. While this is a great kris knife, this knife does not demonstrate typical characteristics of a Messenger in the handle, blade, or scabbard. I am by no means an authority but have studied them for awhile and therefore would like to hear what others have to say. I realize they were one of a kind knives made by Messenger and his friends, but for the most part they share a distinct look and that is why I am asking the question.

I know.. there is one in every crowd...

regards,

CC

I actually agree with you. What I was told was that the blade (not the whole knife) was a Messenger. This is a theater built knife.

I actually own the exact specimen that is pictured on the bottom of page 167 in "Military Knives - A Reference Book". I compared the two blades and although they are similar in style and material, i could not say for certain the theater is a Messenger blade. The pg 167 blade has more defined waves and it is a little flimsier than the theater. I have owned a Messenger however, that had a wave profile more similar to the Theater specimen I show here. See http://usmilitaryfig...ING_KNIVES.html

I'll also be interested to hear other comments.

post-8804-0-06007000-1363714412.jpg

I thought there might have been some comments by now. Thank you for sharing your other Messenger. I have used it as a reference before as I have most of the knife books. One observation I have made is that most of the kris knives have a plunge/cut line on the ricasso similar to your page 167 blade. Actually, almost all of the Messenger knives made by Messenger and not his co workers have this feature.

thanks for sharing...