Pictures of "Old 666"

Big Al

I've looked around a few times and have not come across any photos of my favorite B17, "Old 666". Anyone have any they wouldn't mind posting?

Thanks.

Thanks, namvet. But I don't think the first picture is of "Old 666". Its tail number was 41-2666 and according to what I have read, "Old 666" had twin waist guns in each window and an additional fifty mounted in the floor of waist gun compartment. Your efforts are appreciated, though.

Thanks, namvet. But I don't think the first picture is of "Old 666". Its tail number was 41-2666 and according to what I have read, "Old 666" had twin waist guns in each window and an additional fifty mounted in the floor of waist gun compartment. Your efforts are appreciated, though.

ok. the tail number you give is different. the photo i posted was on a 666 website. but its wrong. that photo is the "all american". the tail damage was caused by a mid air collision with an enemy fighter.

now using your tail number it appears that old 666 was actually called "LUCY". check this out:

http://www.pacificwr...17/41-2666.html

also this site backs up that link. scroll down to Lucy. it says See "Old 666" below. go there and it says aka. "Lucy". B-17E. Flown by Pilot Jay Zeamer during the mission which earned him and crewmate, Joseph Sarnoski, the Medal of Honor (see History Section). Note: "Old 666" may have just been a nickname for the plane with this serial number as records show this plane as having had the name "Lucy". In any case, "Old 666" is how Jay Zeamer and crew referred to their aircraft. link:

http://www.kensmen.com/birds1b.html

I did a photo search for both and came up empty.

• 10 years later...
ZeamersEagerBeavers
On 2/9/2013 at 6:34 PM, Big Al said:

I've looked around a few times and have not come across any photos of my favorite B17, "Old 666". Anyone have any they wouldn't mind posting?

Thanks.

When you posted this in 2013, I believe the only photo available was a still frame from a Signal Corps movie about the 8th Photo Squadron at 14-Mile, which caught #41-2666 from the back as an F-4 was taxiing.  There are a few more now, though none of Zeamer's remarkable configuration.  All are either from before or after, when the heavy complement the Eager Beavers added was removed, likely for weight.

You can see all of the current photos available of it on my history of #41-2666 here.

Here's a large version of the photo of it in late 1942, probably at 7-Mile.  

• 1 month later...

The description you give of the aircraft with twin .50's at each waist window, to me indicates a YB-40 Gunship.